Chapter 9

Darren POV

Well, 2 weeks have gone by and have been stuck to Melanie like glue; have been checking she’s safe whilst also finding out about her and her habits. Also, have been trying to persuade her to give me a chance (though at the moment, it doesn’t seem to be working – she barely shows any emotions towards me anymore).

As I start walking to class, a hand suddenly reaches out, grabs my arm and drags me to an empty classroom, locking the door after us. I turn and I see one of the girls that hangs out with Melanie frequently. Bianca….. Bea….. No wait, Becca - that sounds about right! She immediately starts talking in hushed tones.

“Look, I know you want Melanie and I’ve come to help you. She’s not being honest with you. She’s keeping a secret from you. Someone is telling her to leave her mate, and threatening her. You need to try and distance yourself from her for a while. He’s even started abus-“

She’s cut of as the door slams open and Chase runs into the room sniffing the air. He sees Becca and his eyes light up, filling with love and friendship. He then looks towards me, and his eyes narrow whilst he growls at me. He immediately takes a defensive stance in front of Becca growling, and announces with a possessive tone

“My mate.”

I slowly start to back off showing I mean no harm to either of them. I reply saying

“Don’t worry dude, I have a mate. She was just telling me something that she says was important. What were you saying about Mel?”

During my little speech, Chase realises I’m no threat and turns towards his mate. Unfortunately, doing this distracts Becca.

“BECCA! What were you saying about Mel?!”

She ignores me, too caught up in the bubble with Chase. I shake my head in disbelief and walk out the door. I mean, it can’t be that important if she’s so easily distracted from it!

And stay away from Mel? As if.

*The next day*

Melanie POV

Eugh, Darren just won’t stop following me. He is constantly speaking in my ear and won’t shut up. It’s so irritating yet I can’t help but feel happy that he’s trying his hardest to get me. If only my Father wasn’t being so…. difficult.

“What you thinking about beautiful? Me I hope.”

Oh not again! I turn around to face Darren. I say

“Look, I don’t know why you’re so determined to get with me; it’ll never happen so deal with it.”

To which he replies

“Right, I understand where you’re coming from - really, I do! But please, just give me a chance to prove to you what sort of person I am. Take a risk, take a chance; believe in me… us. We’re perfect for each other. You’re too flawless to let go; everything about you makes my heart race. Please, one date is all I’m asking for you. It’ll be a trial run. Just give us a chance. One date.”

Oh how could he say that? That’s so sweet. I could say yes but then my Father would find out easily.... No, I’ll say no; it’ll be better this way…. No, I can’t say no to him after that – I have to say yes. Then I have a brainwave. As long as I tell Darren not to tell anyone about this date, Father wouldn’t find out. Right, here goes nothing.

“Fine. Let’s do it. Only one date though; no more! One condition – don’t tell anyone, not even my Father. I want this kept as a secret, you got it?!”

Whilst speaking, I see his face light up, and his eyes start to sparkle in triumph.

“Though I think it’s a bit weird, fine. No one will know. I’ll pick you up from yours, yeah? Tonight at 7?”

Hmm, I’m sure I can persuade my Father that it’s Becca’s car.

“Fine. See you later.”

And as he turns to walk away from me with a spring in his step, in a softer, quieter tone, I add on a

“I’m looking forward to it.”