Chapter 6

Darren POV

After a restless night, am at school pacing by the front door waiting for Mel. I hope she’s alright. I spent the whole night worrying about her and hoping for the best. Please just let her be okay. Suddenly the scent of vanilla and raspberries floods up my nose. I look up and see a feminine figure walking towards me with her head covered by a hood. I rush over to her and stand in front of her to prevent her from walking. I take her hood off, place my hand under her chin and lift her face up so she has to look at me. She looks exhausted, with swollen red eyes as if she’s been crying all night. Whilst looking up at me she smiles a clearly fake smile which doesn’t reach her eyes. Her eyes show a mixture of sadness, worry and fear. Concerned, I ask

“What’s wrong? What’s happened?”

She ignores what I ask, and pushes my hand away. She then says

“Look, I just want you to leave me alone. I don’t want a mate – I never have done! Mates are a waste of time. Please, just leave me alone.”

I feel a sharp pain through my heart. No way am I letting my mate get away that easily.

“Look, I have been searching for you for well over a year and you’re even better than I imagined! I refuse to let you just walk away from me. How about we start again, but as if we don’t know we’re mates. We can get to know each other as friends, then maybe date after? Please, I’m just asking… well, begging for a chance!”

She got the cutest frown on her face as she pondered my statement. She looks unsure so I continue.

“There’s something about you that takes my breath away. Whenever I see you, my mood just lightens up. Just give me a chance to show you how much you mean to me and I promise you won’t regret it.” I speak with a steady pace trying to cover the panic I feel of her rejecting me. Oh, I just know she’s going to say no. I can’t face the rejection; it’ll tear me to pieces and I don’t know how I’d survive. Whilst panicking inside, I keep myself looking calm on the outside waiting for her reply. Finally, she replies

“I… I want to say yes but something’s holding me back. Please, just give me some time to think about it.”

Not the reply I was looking for but hey, not a formal rejection! Though her reply saddens me, I respond with a slight smile on my face trying to hide the small pain I can feel inside

“Okay, but please don’t take too long. I’ve waited this long, and I don’t think I can bear waiting much longer.”

Melanie POV

Oh why did I have to say that? Now he thinks he has a chance. I can feel myself falling for him but what happens if my Father finds out? He’ll hurt him, maybe even kill him and I he means too much to me for that to happen. Eugh, this is all like a big jumbled up mess in my head. Where’s Rosemary when you need her.

Ah, speak of the devil and she appears!

“Mels - we haven’t spoken in ages! How are you?”

“Hey Roe. Well, to be honest I’ve been-”

“Oh that’s great! Anyway, I’m sure Plan B of making Darren jealous is working. I’ve been flirting with lots of others boys and I swear he keeps glaring at them and looking longingly at me. He’ll forget that other girl and be mine before he knows it! Anyway, lots to do and lots of people to flirt with; bye girl!”

And with that she spins on the spot and walks off leaving me standing alone in the corridor feeling sad knowing one of my supposed best friends doesn’t care for me enough to actually listen to me.

I hear the bell go and rush off to Maths. I sit down in my usual spot next to my other bestie Becca ready to endure another pointless lesson which is no way near interesting enough to distract my thoughts. Becca suddenly notices me, and sees what state I’m in and I can see her eyes full of worry for me.

“Mels, are you okay? And don’t say you’re fine cause I know you’re not. Tell me what’s wrong amigos? Don’t make me unleash the one-legged sheep on you!”

Just from that little speech, I realise what a proper best friend is like – caring, knows how to cheer me up and knows whenever there’s something wrong without being told. With great difficulty, I then start telling Becca everything that’s happened so far.

See Becca; I knew I’d get the one-legged sheep written in somewhere!