Chapter 7

Melanie POV

It feels good being able to confide all my problems to someone. Becca listened patiently throughout and in some ways helped me rearrange my thoughts. Her parting comment filled me with confidence that I didn’t even know I had.

“Don’t think too hard about everything; just go with the flow! In your life, you always live in the moment with no regrets so why should now be any different? Just ask yourself what you want and trust yourself that you’ve made the right decision which I know you will.”

Even approaching my home now, I hear that comment in my head and know what I have to do. Darren’s my mate, my one true love and I’d be a fool to let him go.

I walk into the house and pause by the front door to listen to see if anyone is in. At first I hear nothing, and then unexpectedly I hear a loud crash coming from…. Oh no, my Father’s office. I then realise I’m all alone in the house with my beast of a Father. I need to get out. Now.

I spin round and go to unlock the door to leave the house when suddenly I hear footsteps right behind me just as I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn around and am faced with a very angry, foul-mood looking Father.

“Well, I hope someone hasn’t been spreading nasty rumours about me. I wouldn’t want to have to accidently slip and cut one of your brother’s throats now would I?”

He can hurt me, that’s fine. But hurt my brothers? I don’t think so. Come on, do what Becca said: don’t show the fear and fight back.

“Look, you are a nasty piece of work and I can’t believe I have to call you my Father. You know what? You can’t do anything to me or anyone I love as if I tell everyone what you are, you’ll be gone so fast you won’t even be able to close your office door.”

Wow, that felt good.

However, during my speech my Father’s face got increasingly redder and he look furious. Nonetheless, when he spoke he sounded calm whilst looking me deep in the eye with slight curiosity.

“Hmmm…. Something has happened, or changed. Something life changing. Something that you feel the need to protect.”

During his speculating, I feel a shiver run down my spine with fear oozing its way through my body. My terror keeps me frozen, unable to move away from the figure in front of me. All of a sudden, I see my Father’s eyes light up, and then see a spark of triumph and evil.

“Oh my, someone’s found their little mate. How lovely. Well, we’re gonna have to change that, aren’t we?”

Oh I don’t like where this is going. I feel the dread leak into my heart, and I start to feel dizzy. He then asks me with a smug grin

“So my dear, who is this “wonderful” mate you’ve found?

“I refuse to answer. You’ll go nowhere near him if I can help it!”

I have to keep his name a secret… If Father finds out he’ll surely kill him. As I shakily look up into my Father’s eyes I see he’s deep in thought. He turns away from me and says

“Well, if you don’t want to tell me that’s fine. I’ll pretend you don’t have a mate and carry on with my plan. He then faces me holding an object. At a glance I cannot see what it is, but then he holds it up to me to see. A whip.

*Violent-ish bit*

Seeing it shocks me out of my frozen state. Just as I spin round, I feel a sharp pain on the back of my legs with makes me fall to the floor. I feel a hand pull up my top at the back despite my struggling. I then feel another sharp pain on my back, even harder than before. He repeats this whilst I’m sobbing.

*End of violent-ish bit*

Just as the pain gets too much, I yell out

“DARREN!”

I sense my Father retreating away from me, and I look up to see him smirking triumphantly.

“Well, this Darren of yours will have to go. There can’t be too many Darrens around.”

He goes to walk out the door, and I shout at him

“STOP! I’ll do anything you want, just please don’t hurt him. I’ll keep your secret and I’ll stay away from Darren. Happy?”

He steadily looks at me, and then realises I’m telling the truth.

“You better keep to that for your sake and everyone else’s.”

He turns and walks out the room. I sit there in shock, flinching slightly from the pain of my back healing, then hear a car pull up outside. Realising my brothers are home, I manage to quickly stumble up the stairs and I lock myself in my room. I walk to my bathroom, and strip of my clothes and get in a nice soothing bath to relieve the pain on my back and my legs. Whilst relaxing in my own little bubble, I think about what’s happened. I start to tear up and before I know it I’m silently sobbing. I need to tell someone, and soon otherwise I think I’m going to break.

I finish my bath, pick up my house keys and limp out the house, avoiding my siblings. I hobble fast, eager to reach my destination. As I walk further up the road, I see my destination come into sight and relief blossoms inside me. I jog up towards the door, going as fast as I can and I knock and wait. The door opens and Becca’s head pops round out with a grin on her face. She sees me, her face falling to a look of concern and worry whilst gasping when she sees how red and swollen my face looks. She walks up to me, and hugs me unknowingly hitting me right where my fresh injuries are. I flinch, and immediately she releases me and with alarm clear in her eyes, asks

“What happened?”              

with which I immediately burst out into tears.

Hey people! I haven’t really spoken much but I’d really appreciate it if you could leave comments, messages etc as I’d like to know how I could improve my writing. Votes would also be welcomed :) Thank you for reading, every single one of you! :)