⇒ chapter nine

TWO DAYS HADpassed since she had spoken to Sugawara

TWO DAYS HAD
passed since she had spoken to Sugawara. At first, she had been heavily embarrassed that she had cried in front of him, even though he comforted her like a mother. He was delicate and made sure not to touch her in any way that could make her feel uncomfortable as she cried. Shiori was a vulnerable girl, something the boy had taken noticed of quite easily. It resulted in the urge of wanting to have her close 24/7 bubble up in him. He couldn't help it, whenever he looked at her, he just wanted to tell her that she would be okay and that she was safe.

Now, it was Monday afternoon, still the start of the new week, and she would not remained embarrassed by such a thing that probably didn't mean anything to the older boy.

"Captain-san!! Suga-kun!! Tanaka-kun!!"

The girl called after them, jogging up to them, only to trip on a pencil that had fallen from somebody's bag.

Now, Sugawara was not the fastest member on the team, but he had his moments and now was one of them as he quickly caught her before she fell.

"Shiori-chan!" Suga's voice ran through the hallway, causing some people to stare, including a certain curly-haired girl. "You have to be more careful!"

Even when Shiori regained her balance and footing, Suga's hands remained on her. Even through her white dress shirt, the girl could feel his soft hands, gently holding onto her as though she was a cup made of glass.

Shiori smiled up at him gratefully and pulled away. Her heart was racing. How could they not be? His hazel brown eyes were firmly on her, not paying attention to the other many eyes that were on them.

"Sorry about that, Sugawara-senpai," she apologized, a faint blush painted on her cheeks. The girl looked behind him at the two other boys. "Are you guys going to the gym?"

The boys nodded and she walked beside Suga who had already turned around.

"I'll be joining you then," she told them, to which they nodded a second time but in agreement, holding in their laughter.

The gray-haired boy turned to her, with a smile on his face and eyes filled with affection. Of course, he himself didn't notice the look he was giving her, and neither did she, but somebody else did.

Kawamoto Hanae's hands tightened and her nails dug into her palms. Her heart picked at her throat. The cool air of the morning entered her lungs and tasted bitter on her tongue as she swallowed. Her heart throbbed and hammered against her ribcage. How could it be that the girl who had lived directly underneath Hanae's eyes since the moment she was born, was taking away what she wanted the most. How was it fair? She had trained hard and was one of the smartest students in the school. She had spent two years pining over him and trying to catch his attention only for this, child, to have him grow attached to her in only a few weeks. How could it be? Hanae even chose to attend Karasuno High for him! It infuriated her, but she had to find a way. She couldn't lose to a girl who took everything from her.