⇒ chapter four

"THERES SOMETHING Idon't like about those newbie first-years," Tanaka stated, warning evident in his tone of voice, causing Shiori to pause her movements as she helped the two boys pick up after practice was over

"THERES SOMETHING I
don't like about those newbie first-years," Tanaka stated, warning evident in his tone of voice, causing Shiori to pause her movements as she helped the two boys pick up after practice was over.

"You don't like anyone you meet for the first time, you know that's your personality right?"

The tall girl pouted and dramatically pointed at Tanaka, who's eyes widened at suddenly being put on the spot.

"I WONT FORGIVE YOU FOR THAT! I'm a newbie first year too, ya know!"

Sugawara chuckled at the girl's hurt expression as his friend's words seem to process into her brain a bit later than most.

"NE, NE, SHIORI-CHAN!!! NOT YOU! You're an angel!"

She crossed her arms and let out a small sound of triumph before continuing to pick up with them.

Sugawara sighed, drawing her attention once again. Everything he did caught her attention so easily, she had no idea why. He was simple and some would even say plain, but her eyes always landed on him first. It made her wonder if her past crush on him had some type of influence on her behavior towards him.

"But those guys sure were beyond expectations...." He turned to Tanaka, who's eyes were wide open. "Are you going to be okay in the match on Saturday?"

Shiori snapped back into reality and stifled a giggle as Tanaka quickly tried to come up with a reply, stuttering in the intent.

"O-of course. I'm on the team, after all."

Sugawara and Shiori turned to face each other, to see the reactions on both of their faces only for both of them to have a mirrored blank expression.

"That's true," the ravenette replied, her voice trailing off only for Koushi to complete her sentence.

"There's Kageyama too."

She laughed and opened up the door to the equipment room, sliding it open to help let them in as they continued their chat.

"But don't you think Kageyama's mellowed out since junior high?"

Shiori blinked at Suga's question and put down some of the equipment she had been helping them carry.

"What? How has he mellowed out at all?" Tanaka furrowed his eyebrows, casting a quick glance of confusion towards the girl who only shrugged in response. "The guy's cocky as shit."

Sugawara frowned, displeased with the choice of words coming from his teammate, and then continued his train of thoughts.

"Well.. it's like when he was in junior high, he had this unwavering confidence like he was an unprecedented phenomenon or something."

She passed a mop to the gray-haired boy who smiled in gratitude, taking it from her small hands, smoothly rubbing against them in the process— causing her to blush a bit.