⇒ chapter six

SHIORI WAS SHORTon experience in kissing

SHIORI WAS SHORT
on experience in kissing. She had been kissed, once. It was a stolen kiss only a few months back. Her grandparents lived near Zushi beach, which was about 6 hours away from Miyagi. Her parents would take her, stay a week or so, and leave her there for the rest of the summer. It had been that way since she was a child, and she would help out in a snack shack on the beach that her grandparents ran as a small business during the summer. There, she would practice volleyball all summer with passerby. Shiori met many experienced volleyball players who taught her a lot and enjoyed playing with her, but there was one boy out of all of them that got along with her the most.

Oikawa Tooru was a flirt, but he was a charmingly handsome flirt- a dangerous mix. From the moment Shiori saw him, she knew that and avoided him at all costs, but it was too late. She had already caught his eye and he was determined to meet her. Tooru was persistent. Everyday, he went to the snack shack, flirted with her, and bought a pocari and some packaged milk bread. He really wasn't anything special to her, until she played a volleyball game with him and Oikawa gained her respect. Eventually, they began to make small talk and she found out that he also, was staying for the rest of the summer and was from Miyagi, thus leading them to grow closer. He even taught her and practiced volleyball with her every single day. She never fell for him, ever, but Shiori could not deny the fact that he was cute and humorous, making her giggle at every chance he possibly could. So when Oikawa invited the ravenette to a bonfire on the beach along with a few friends as a sendoff, she didn't hesitate to attend. They had spent the night at the beach and—

The girl's recall of events in her brain came to an end as Sugawara gently called out her name, making her now realize that he was no longer so close to her. Disappointment settled in her stomach, emptiness seeping through as well.

"Shiori," Suga repeated, he himself flustered by the simple yet intimate moment the pair had shared. "We should head back."

Shiori looked down at her feet and nodded, letting go of his hand and clearing her throat before walking beside him back to the gym. She herself had no idea why she did this. Perhaps it was because a part of her felt rejected and embarrassed by her own thoughts and wanted to face reality with a different approach. An approach that wanted to make it clear that she was NOT affected by what had almost happened and she did NOT care in the slightest. Even so, she was obvious.

Sugawara smiled softly as he saw her ears tinted a deep red from behind her. It made him feel at ease that she as well, was a bit flushed.

"Wait up, Shiori-chan!"

By the end of the practice match, Kageyama, Hinata, and Tanaka had won and many discoveries had been made. It was an interesting match to say the least and it brought many memories back to Shiori.

"Shiori-chan," Sugawara called out, waving his hand over to the girl who walked over in response.

Her senpai smiled, his hands behind his back.