Chapter 36: Wicked and Divine

Lol sorry about that last chapter, I was just splitting the book into two parts. #trolling #didntknoweveryonewouldfreakout 

* * *         

        Thomas Gregory awoke gasping for air, clutching his throat as if large hands had been tightly wrapped around it moments before. He couldn’t recall the nightmare, but whatever it was about, it must have been intense because he was soaked in sweat.

Thomas pulled his t-shirt off over his head and quickly flicked on a light. He swung his legs over the hard mattress, cobalt eyes shifting around the simple bedroom Malphas had allowed him to keep.

Scratch that, it wasn’t his room. It was a jail. Thomas was now slave to Malphas, and with the Raven Demon’s blood in his system, he had to watch his step, or else Malphas had threatened to kill him. If he died with Malphas’ blood inside of him, he would awaken as a demon. That couldn’t happen. It wouldn’t.

The room was empty. His breaths started to slow.

           Something moved.

            It was a small sound, but it was enough to catch his full, undivided attention. It was similar to the sound of something sliding on the ground, maybe an animal. The room did seem fit for rats. Thomas followed the noise and moved to the small bathroom attached to his room. There, he flicked on another light, and was disturbed to find pink scratches on his neck.

He had scratched himself in his sleep.

Thomas forgot about the noise in his bathroom, and an hour or so after waking up, Thomas managed to cleverly get past a few guards by sneaking them some booze, and wondered over to Malphas’ office. He knew it was stupid, considering the creature inside, but he also knew that something was going on because Malphas’ had shut himself in his office for a long time.

Thomas was also bored as hell, too.

He gingerly pressed his ear against the door.

 “You want to give him the poison when he’s weak…” Malphas was saying. “Right now, your friend Death is trapped in Limbo…”

Limbo? Like the game? Thomas stupidly thought, but then he remembered his father talking to him about the different realms between heaven and hell. Limbo was the realm of lost souls and memories, he ironically remembered. How could they have possibly trapped the Angel of Death in Limbo?

“There, he’ll be cut off from live souls,” Malphas continued. “It won’t be for long, but it’ll be a considerable amount in regards to how frequently he needs to feed. Even when he is not collecting souls, he is receiving the energy from the dead through his reapers.”

Thomas continued to eavesdrop through the door, while keeping an eye on the hallway to make sure nobody was walking down.

“What will the poison do to him?” a soft, feminine voice wondered. Faith? Thomas strained to hear more, his heart racing in his chest. “And—and what will you want from me in return?” she trembled out. "I already owe a lot of creatures, one of which is a freaking mirror man, the other a warlock. I want to know that I'm not entirly screwed making this decision..."

Was she seriously making some sort of deal with him? With Malphas?

“Don’t worry about that right now,” Malphas said. “Right now, we are focusing on you and keeping you safe. From Death.”

The Raven Demon was manipulating her. Thomas could hear it in his voice, how it was smooth and velvety, unlike his normally raspy, sandpapery voice.

“How do I give him this poison?” Faith sounded so worn out, tired.

“Stab him in the heart,” Malphas said simply.

"You say that as if he'll be happy to see me. As if I'll be able to just come in for a hug and stab him."

"Rub some of of the poison on your hands and touch him. It'll visably affect his skin and he'll be distracted. Make it count, Faith Williams. Once he's unable to move, I'll handle it from there."

Something moved on the ground to his right. Alarmed, Thomas’ eyes darted towards the noise, and there, on the ground, was a snake. Its scales were obsidian and it was easily the largest snake he had ever seen in his life. For a moment, Thomas wondered how such a large reptile had gotten into the building.

It’s not really there, he concluded, but that thought disappeared as quickly as it came.

 The reptile’s head started to sway back and forth, rhythmically, carefully, forcing Thomas to turn his head slightly side to side to follow it’s movements.

The reptile stopped and stared at Thomas. Its tongue flicked out of its mouth, and with a small, almost human-like incline of its head, it motioned for Thomas to follow and darted down the hallway.

Thomas stood and robotically followed the creature quickly down the hallway. Thomas passed the guards who he bribed with alcohol. They were already tipsy and talking about some strip club. Thomas kept his attention completely on the snake, following it sharply down another hallway, then another, then another.

Finally he came to a door with demon guards on either side of it. The snake had vanished. Had that all been in his head?

“You have authorization to leave, kid?” one of the guards said, casually placing his hand on the gun at his hip.

Thomas tried to respond, but it was as if a wad of cotton was lodged in his mouth and his skull felt heavy. The hallway began to get thick with humididy, so hot that one of the demon guards started to visibly sweat.

“What the…hell?” One of the guards started to pull at their shirt, ripping it down the.  “I feel like…I’m on…fire?!”

Suddenly, the guards clutched at their skulls, silently screaming as the veins in their heads stood out and their faces purpled. Thomas watched, vacantly, as the each of the guard’s eyes turned beat red and then exploded in gory splatters against Thomas’ shirt and face.

Open the door, Thomas, a voice slid into Thomas’ head.

Thomas stepped over the dead bodies, involuntarily pulling the door open. There, he came face to face with a blonde man in a grey pinstripe suit. There was something familiar about this man and beyond disturbing, but Thomas couldn’t quite pinpoint who he was or why he felt that way. The man’s eyes were a vivid, striking blue, and never wavering as they stared down Thomas.

Thomas, being a demon hunter, could immediately see the layers of an illusion over this man. It was a powerful one, but beneath the flawless man Thomas saw before him, was a monster with inhumanly angled features and red, scaly skin.

 “Thomas. I know you. I knew your father. You see what he is! Next to the man, sobbing and imprisoned by the suited man’s grasp, was a distressed and terrified version of Faith William’s aunt. Thomas hadn’t seen her until then; he was so transfixed on the man. She sputtered out words quickly. “Look away from him, Thomas! Fight him, he’s Sa—ow!”

"That's enough of that." The beautiful man gripped Sarah painfully by the back of the neck. “I thought I told you to shut your fucking mouth,” the man said in a scarily pleasant voice, his eyes still trained on Thomas. His smile deserved to be on Listerine commercial. “Devin Star. I’m here to discuss an advertising opportunity with your boss. I don’t really have much time, big event tonight. Can I come in, kid?”

“Yes,” Thomas said, stepping aside and Sarah William’s eyes widened in horror. “Of course you can come in.”

The man’s smile dropped.

* * *

LOL.

Yeah. 

:D

Instagram and Twitter: Katrocks247

JOIN THE DIMBFF FACEBOOK GROUP BECAUSE WHY HAVEN'Y YOU ALREADY!??! x)