Chapter Twelve: The Gnome King's Castle

It was late morning when they awoke. They saddled their new horses and set off.

On the Fairy Kingdom's side of the bridge was a small clearing, where they had slept. But as soon as they crossed the bridge, they entered a dense forest, so thick they could see only a few feet before them. Sharp thorns lined the path—if you could call it that—catching clothing and scratching deep into their skin. The trail got so thick Tom and Ruth were forced to lead their horses and continue on foot. Strange sounds came from all directions. Tom told her the sounds were from something called a Leer Gnat.

Leer Gnats could shape shift into any living thing, he explained, but only for short periods of time. Leer Gnats fed on blood, like a mosquito. They would shift into anything they could to get closer to their victims, then latch on. Once they were on you, it was close to impossible to get them off until they were full.

"Close to impossible?" Ruth asked after he had finished his explanation. "How do you, then?"

"There is a certain bird that eats them. They're called Sniggers. If you catch one of those, they'll eat the Leer Gnats right off you. Many people don't bother doing anything about Leer Gnats unless they have one. I, on the other hand, like to keep them away and not bother with the loss of blood." Tom reached into a bush and pulled out a few dark blue berries with white spots. He took half and handed the rest to Ruth. "Here. This is a Leer Berry. Your body absorbs the smell and it works as a repellent. But it will also make you feel very itchy. Eat it."

"Thanks," said Ruth, popping the berry in her mouth, grimacing at the bitter flavor. "I don't know what I'd do without you." She checked herself. "Actually, I do. I'd be in the Gnome King's Dungeon, not knowing where I was, that Dad was here, or anything else. Are we almost there?"

Tom glanced at their map - which they had borrowed from Queen Rosebud - then took a look around. "From the looks of it, we're about two miles away. It should be only about an hour and a half."

"Great! Wow, can you imagine? We already have the first Key, and it's only been seven days! I'm glad we're almost there. It's agonizing to wait. Don't you think?"

Tom shrugged. They began to walk.

Later, one of the horses bucked and whinnied. Ruth whirled around and began to calm him down. Tom began scanning the trees, searching for something. Ruth glanced at him, then turned her attention back to the animal. A fly buzzed around the horse, trying to land. Ruth waved her hand at it, and it flew away so fast Ruth didn't have time to blink and it was gone. Weird, she thought, looking in the direction of the fly, which hovered a few feet away from her. I've never seen a fly act like that before. Then she realized what it was.

"Tom, we forgot to give the horses the Leer Berries. There's a Leer Gnat after them!"

Tom blinked as he realized his mistake. He reached into the bushes, pulling out a large handful of the Leer Berries. "Here. Take the berries. I'll hold their mouths open and you shove a couple down their throats."

"You're kidding."

"Do I look like I'm kidding?"

Ruth sighed and accepted the berries. "Eww. This is so gross," she complained as she shoved them down the first horse's throat. "It's so slimy. Eww."

They moved on to the second horse.

"Careful, careful. Watch out!" Her hand slithered out of its mouth just as Tom lost hold and the horse's mouth snapped shut.

"Thanks," Ruth gasped, eyes still following the Leer Gnat. As it flew into the branches, Ruth could see it begin to transform. Its body was round and glowing. Its antennas were a brown-purplish color and feathery. It had small, see-through wings, and its legs were the same color as its antennas. She shrieked. "That thing is really weird looking. Have you ever see—" she was cut short by a large hand covering her mouth.