Chapter Eleven: The Journey Continues

"So not all of them die?" came Tom's voice.

"What?" Ruth asked, cracking open her eyes.

"The merpeople's victims. Not all of them die?"

"Oh, them. No they don't. From what I gathered from Sea Foam, most of them come with them. To the City of Eternal Contentment." She said the name mockingly, but seriously, how could you not? It was pretty much the dumbest name ever.

"Oh." Tom looked back at the Lagoon almost...longingly. Then he shook it off. "How are you feeling? Are you ready to go?"

"Yep. Good as new." She sat up and stretched. "Gee, I thought I was a goner. Thanks for all the help you've been, Tom. It means the world to me. It really does." She met his gaze to let him know she was sincere.

Tom blushed, but pretended not to hear her thanks. "Alright, let's get going then! You get the saddlebags, and I'll get the rest." He got up and slung the blankets over his shoulder.

She moved to stand, but as she did she became dizzy and was forced to return to her sitting position. The dizziness continued, then blurred and began to take shape. They twisted into lots of blurry blobs. The blobs then began to create the shapes of humans. No, not just humans, dwarfs too. Ruth squinted. One of the human blobs stepped forward and began to speak. Ruth gasped. It was the Sorceress's companion from her dream!

"My most humblest apologies for interrupting your work, my friends. I'm afraid I have a favor to ask of a select few of you. Would Wimble Jennsie, Torrie Fisher, Kalem Smithy, Morrong Bigeld, and Thimken Highmen please step forward?"

Five dwarves stepped into the light. Kilp nodded, pleased.

"Very good. Please, come with me." He beckoned for them to follow, then turned back to the crowd. "And the rest of you, continue your business."

The five dwarves followed him down a tunnel. They turned a corner, where the Sorceress stood waiting. The Sorceress led the five dwarves and Kilp to a small room with no windows. The only light in the room was a small candle on the table, which were the only two things in the room.

"Now," she said, facing the dwarves. "As Kilp said in the cavern, I have a favor to ask. You see, in order to reach our goal, we must be rid of a certain obstacle. There are two people working to stop us. One is a rebel dwarf, and the other, a human child. A girl, to be precise. I want you to bring them to me. Is that clear?"

"Sorceress," Thimken stepped forward. "We will certainly deal with this dwarf," —here spat on the ground in disgust—"If you can call him that. But is it really necessary to meddle with the girl?"

"YES!" she thundered, eyes blazing. The dwarves coward. "She is the most dangerous! If you must choose between the two for any reason, get. The. Girl. Do you understand?" She stepped toward them menacingly. Thimken swallowed and nodded. "Good." Her smile returned. "Now, I have planted a tracking device on the girl. Her name is Ruth McKenzie. The dwarf is Tom Smith. As far as I know, they are located near Mermaid Lagoon. Find them and bring them to me by whatever means necessary."

The dwarves bowed and headed for the door.

"Wait a moment," the Sorceress added. "Bring the girl to me alive. The dwarf, well, do whatever you think best." She smiled once more as they turned to leave, then stopped them again. "Oh, one more thing. I almost forgot. Don't come back without them."

"Ruth? Are you coming?"

Ruth blinked. "Huh? Oh yeah, sorry. I just got a little dizzy."

Tom walked over, a look of concern on his face. "Are you sure you're alright? You look pale."