Chapter Five: The Adventure Begins

Ruth awoke slowly, blinking rapidly at the bright light around her. Her head felt like mush. She was in a sparsely furnished room with a low ceiling. Ruth was lying on a bed that was too short for her, her legs coming off the bed on the other end. A little man strode out of the corner, no more than four feet tall. Four foot two, she thought, and it all came rushing back. Ruth sat up slowly and glared at the little man.

"What," she asked in a dangerous tone, "did you do that for? I was perfectly fine. There was no need to knock me out! Did you know that this was the second time today I've been knocked unconscious?"

"No, I did not, and I apologize," said Tom. "I didn't mean to knock you out, so it was partially your fault too. I would have released you when they had left.

"You see, the gnomes are on the Sorceress's side. But they are smarter than the Sorceress had bargained for. They want to use me as a bargaining chip if the Sorceress gets a little too...pushy, for their liking. They've threatened me saying that if I try to leave their territory they would take me to the Gnome King's Castle and keep me there until they feel the need to use me."

"Well," Ruth said carefully, boosting herself off the bed. "I guess I can forgive you. And...I'm sorry about how I reacted. How long was I out?"

"An hour or so."

"Alright, well, I guess you should tell me how to find my dad then. So I can go find him."

Tom let out a deep, throaty chuckle. "It won't be hard to find him. It's getting to him that's going to be the problem." Ruth gave him a questioning look. "I know exactly where your father is. Unfortunately, it's not good news. Your father," he said slowly. "Is now, at this moment, being held prisoner in the Dwarf Mines."

Ruth's head began to spin. She reached behind her and sank back onto the bed. "I have to go! I have to rescue him! Will you come with me?" she asked.

Tom shook his head. "I'm sorry Ruth, but if come, I could put you and me both in danger. I'm afraid they'll recognize me."

"But you know the way! I've never been here before; you would be so helpful!"

"I'm sorry," he repeated. "It's too risky."

Realizing she wasn't getting anywhere in this argument, Ruth stood up and walked past him. "Goodbye then. I'll remember you." She grabbed her sack and headed for the door. Tom stayed where he was, looking as if he was afraid that if he moved, his legs would carry him away with Ruth. Just as she was about to shut the door behind her, she turned and said, "You're going to regret this, you know. This is your opportunity to stop the other dwarves." He shook his head once more, and she shut the door, leaving Tom sitting on his little stool.

Once outside, Ruth breathed in the fresh air. She couldn't believe Tom had turned her down. His one big chance and he had thrown it away like yesterday's garbage. She walked under the two trees, absentmindedly admiring their thick, green branches. She was almost out from under them when she heard a rustling in the branches above. She turned her head just in time to see a group of gnomes appear in the tree! They jumped from the tree onto Ruth and began to tie her arms to her sides. Ruth's heart leapt with fright.

"To—" she began to cry. A gnome took advantage of her open mouth and thrust a bright green berry into it. The berry dissolved on her tongue and suddenly she couldn't make a sound. It was as if someone had pushed her mute button. The only thing she could do was open and shut her mouth like a goldfish.

The gnomes giggled. Oh my word, their laugh is so annoying! Ruth was steaming. She knew she should have been frightened, but they were so small it was hard to be scared.