Chapter Eight: Family

Ruth woke to bright sunlight shining through the large curtains covering her very large windows. Groggily, she stumbled to the windows and flung them open. Peering out, she saw that it was well past the time she normally got up. Ruth quickly changed into a dress from the Queen - which was nearly the same as the one from yesterday, except it was pine green and butter yellow with no ribbons - and brushed her frizzy, untamed hair. Once her hair was flattened, she headed out the door and discovered the direction of the dining hall. By the time she reached the entrance of the dining hall, Ruth was starving. The wonderful aroma of whatever was being served smelled heavenly. Walking inside, she found that Tom and Queen Rosebud, along with two other people Ruth never seen before were already there, enjoying a conversation over their meal.

"Yes, and did you notice the way the sun rises over the hills in the morning? It's quite remarkable. Oh, and did you see the way—Ruth!" Rosebud turned to greet her tired guest. "Good morning. Did you sleep well last night?"

Tom turned as well, smiling happily. "I was wondering when you were going to come down. You must have gone to bed very late last night."

"Good morning," Ruth said cheerfully, then checked her manners and gave the Queen a quick curtsy. "Yes, I slept wonderfully, thanks for asking, Your Majesty." Then to Tom, "Yeah, I went to bed really late." She yawned.

"Ruth," said the Queen, gesturing to the two people flanking her chair, "This is my husband and daughter. Levi and Myrtle."

Levi and Myrtle gave her a warm nod of welcome. Ruth curtsied to them in turn.

Levi was a good-looking man, tall, with black hair and a kind smile. He had a long, slightly pointed nose and sparkling eyes.

Myrtle was a girl about fourteen-years-old, with shoulder-length straight black hair. She had freckles, like her mother, and straight, white teeth perfect for giving dazzling smiles.

The Queen gestured for her to take a seat. Ruth sat down and four servants began to serve the latecomer. One by one, they brought out large, silver trays, set them in front of her, and lifted the lids. There was bacon, eggs, and toast with various types of jams and jelly. After she had finished that, they carried out more platters. This time with pancakes, chocolate waffles, blueberry muffins, scones, and many different toppings. When she finished that, she figured it was over and sat back. The servants bowed and walked out through the kitchen doors. A few minutes later, they walked in a third time with more trays in each hand. This time it was fruit: watermelon, honeydew, grapes, cantaloupe, apples, grapefruit, pears, oranges, a thing called pixie-pear, and a lot more that Ruth couldn't recognize. After the third course was over, the servants cleared away the dishes and left the dining hall.

Ruth sighed with relief. "That was really good, Queen Rosebud. Thank you."

Queen Rosebud appeared not to hear her. She was staring at her with the blank expression of a person lost in her own thoughts. Then she shook her head savagely. "It couldn't be..." she murmured. "The name is only a coincidence. But she looks..."

"What?" Ruth was a little disturbed.

"Oh, nothing. It's just...Ruth? Where...where is your family from?" Rosebud's voice had gone soft and longing.

Ruth wasn't sure if she should tell her. "I'm not sure if I'm entirely comfortable telling you that." then, realizing she had basically just told a queen it was none of her business, she began to apologize profusely.

"No, no. It's all right. But...would you at least tell me your father's name?"

She looked so much like a puppy begging for more attention that Ruth told her. "Collen McKenzie."