Chapter 14

***Alex's POV***

I had no idea what to say as this innocent little boy... my son... stared at me.

"Uh-- hi." I smiled at him.

He only continued staring at me with a blank expression.

I sighed. "Austin isn't your dad, right?"

He shook his head.

"Are you my son?" I asked.

His eyes grew wide and he ran over to my side. He put his finger over his lips, indicating for me to shut up.

"Mommy can't know you know." he whispered.

I furrowed my eyebrows together in confusion. "Why not?"

He sighed, acting like a grown adult only because he knew more than I did about this matter. He was about to say something, when Iris walked through the door, holding a cup of coffee. She smiled at me then awkwardly looked at the ground, her smile remaining present and she lowered her head.

She looked absolutely perfect to say the least. I couldn't point out a single flaw and the way she stared at me... oh gosh. Her eyes showed that she cared, her eyes showed love towards me. Me! The one person she should hate... but no, she loved me.

"I thought you could go for some caffeine..." she said as she walked towards me.

I smiled. "Coffee is my drug." I took the cup from her, my eyes never leaving her very aspect.

She observed me as I took a sip, but I didn't mind at all. Instead I looked back at her and winked.

She smiled and looked at the ground.

"Mommy, why are you smiling at the ground?" Jd asked her.

I chuckled and fist bumpt him and Iris laughed.

"You know, I miss your laugh." She said to me.

I stopped laughing and stared at her.

"You know what I know?"

She hummed.

"That I love you too." I whispered.

"Wow." Jack's voice was heard from the door.

Our heads snapped in his direction. He was leaning against the door frame, his hair the regular organized mess, coffee in his hands and he wore his big shades.

"Jack!!!" I cheered.

He laughed and ran over to my bed, enveloping me in a brotherly hug.

"I'm so glad you're awake!" he screamed in my ear.

I laughed and pushed him off.

"Where are the other guys?" I asked.

He shrugged. "Don't know. I had asked your doctor to call me as soon as you got better. I guess I'm not the only one he called."

Jack looked over at Iris and frowned. Wait... what had I missed?

"He didn't call her." I started. "She comes everyday to visit me." I smiled.

Jack raised an eyebrow and Iris' eyes grew wide.

"Everyday? To visit? She's the reason you're in here, and she gets to visit while everyone else, your bestfriends, were told your condition was too severe for visitors."

I mentally slapped myself as I realized what I had done. Dr. Chase had told me about this. Iris pretended we were married.

I fiddled with my bed sheets, not knowing how to help the situation. Wait. Had Jack said that it was Iris' fault I was in the hospital? Had he blamed her for what happened to me? Is that why Iris felt guilty and blamed herself every time she visited?

"Jack, it's not her fault." I whispered.

"It is! Alex, don't you see? She's such a terrible mother that she couldn't be there for her own son. You had to do it for her, you didn't have to, he's not even your responsibility."

"That's enough! You have absolutely no idea how hard I've tried to be a good parent for Jd!" Iris stood before Jack in rage. Her voice fierce and full of frustration.

"I'm not only his mom, I also have to be a fatherly figure. I'm his only parent and you have no right to tell me whether I'm doing a good job or not."

Jack's eyes grew soft. He didn't know. As far as he was concerned, Austin was Jd's dad. That wasn't the case. Iris had to be both parents and one can only imagine how difficult that can be.

"Iris... I--"

But she cut him off.

"How many one night stands of yours resulted in a child without a dad? You don't know. You don't know because you always run away from commitment. Well, I can gurantee there's at least one child that needs his dad. So who's the terrible parent now?"

Jack stared at her in desbelief. Meanwhile, I stared at my son that was curious as to why his mother was yelling. Or what she was even talking about.

Did she truly belive that Jack had knocked someone up and then ran? Jack wasn't like that. He would have stayed. If I had known Iris was pregnant with my kid, I would have stayed.