Chapter 8: Count on Me

"A hollow feeling,
Too superficial for me to handle,
The smile I've been holding
Might be a facade.
The bed of my tears has dried,
The wound is healing too,
But what about the scars?"

Mumbai, India.

"Aria.... Aria!", Aria felt the voice, light whisper near her ear but she ignored it going back to the deep slumber she was previously in.

Not even a minute into the sweet wonderland she was slipping in, she felt a sharp pain near her obliques and she yelped as she jumped and when she heard a bunch of people laughing she realized she just embarrassed herself in front of the whole class.

As if that wasn't enough, she saw the dean of her college standing right in front of her, glaring at her.

Great!

She muttered a quick apology and looked towards her right where Aamina was silently apologizing to her.

"Miss Aria, Good Morning! Hope our benches were comfortable enough for you and the temperature of the room wasn't too cold for you. Did you have a good sleep?", the tall, old dean questioned with sarcasm dripping from his voice and Aria sighed as she tried stifling her yawn.

"The temperature of the air conditioning system was too low for my liking. I'm freezing.", she muttered but well, luck wasn't there on our girl's side today because this was actually heard by everyone and of course, the dean too.

Some chuckled at her reply and some gave her astonished looks while the dean was still giving her a hard look and she again apologized.

"If only you weren't a bright child. Aria, there is a thin line between what you earn and what you just get. You've earned a good reputation and though your other mistakes and antics get ignored, sometimes its better to control and be a bit disciplined. Please go wash your face and try to concentrate on your lectures.", the dean ended the brief lecture and Aria felt the heart dropping, lump forming in the throat feeling hitting her as she felt the heat rising to her cheeks.

She hated this. She hated to be in embarrassing situations yet she somehow ended up being in them.

Every. Single. Time!

She quickly left for the washroom, not before muttering a quick apology to the dean.

To say she was upset would be an understatement. She was trying her best not to cry like a child because she knew she would be laughing at this incident after a week or so.

So why ruin it by crying and make it a dull, bad one instead of a fun, peppy one?

Aria took a deep breath as she splashed some cool water on her face and rinsed her eyes.

Her eyes widened when she took in her appearance.

Messy hair, face swollen and skin dehydrated as if a dead leaf.

She groaned and once again washed her face as if if was going to help and walked out of the washroom.

Aria then decided not to go back to the class as she knew she wouldn't be able to face everyone and she was any which way, way too tired to attend the lecture so she walked towards the college garden and texted her friends on the WhatsApp groupchat that she won't be attending the class and they better bring her bag along with them.

Not even a minute passed and she started to get the flashbacks of what happened last night at her home and she felt the sharp pain, not just in her head but also her heart.

Many things annoyed and upset her but arguments with her parents topped the list.

She sighed as she shook her head and opened Instagram to distract herself when she saw a request from a known face. Tapping on his profile she saw he had some good numbers of followers, his account was public and his profile mainly consisted of beautiful nature and other random photography with only few pictures of himself and his friends and some with his dad and family.
She was a bit taken aback on how apart from Naila's name she saw Tanya's name too on the mutual's.