$37

When I got back home, Val was fast asleep. I didn’t bother waking her because I didn’t feel like getting cursed out or talking anyways. Instead, I took a long, thoughtful shower. Tonight had been an informational night. I didn’t know which was more shocking Finley having breast cancer or Rue being my niece. Both of them cut a bit deep. I didn’t even want to believe the Rue one, but all the evidence was in how Rue looked. She looked like a mix of Finley and I, or shall I say Finley and Adrian. I just couldn’t believe that Finley was down to have a kid with someone who looked like me. We hadn’t talked in five years, and over those years I presumed that she hated me. We had close mutual contacts with friends, and yet I never heard a thing about her, and I felt like that was on purpose. Over the five years, Alfie hardly muttered Finley’s name. Now, here we were, after all these years, talking again like nothing had ever happened.

I guess all of this was happening for a reason. Finley needed someone right now. She needed a friend that could be there for her. She had Jade but she had a child and a husband, and she worked at the parlor so I doubt that she had that much time to spend with Finley. I could be there for Finley. Whenever she needed me to look after Rue, I could or if she even wanted me to go to the doctor with her, I could do that, too. I just hoped that she would be okay. Rumor didn’t need to lose both parents at such an early age and if Finley died, I don’t think I could ever recover. We had an eventful past together and if she was just to leave after we started talking again, I wouldn’t know how to react.

The next morning was like most mornings. Val jumped on me, causing me to shoot right up. No matter how much she did that, she would always scare the shit out of me. “Good morning, sleepyhead,” she said before kissing my forehead. I groaned and lied back down on the bed. She straddled my hips with her waist. “I said, good morning, sleepyhead,” she said once again, but this time poking my stomach repeatedly. I laughed because that actually fucking tickled. “Oh, is someone ticklish this morning?”

“Val, s-stop,” I managed to get out through laughs. “You’re treating me like a child,” I joked. She stopped poking me and ran her nails down my stomach. Goosebumps began rising, and my breathing quickened.

“I’m just trying to practice on my mommy skills,” she said. “How was the wake last night? I’m sure it wasn’t fun, but did Finley take it okay? It sucks that she has to go through losing someone she was in love with at such a young age.”

“I slapped his mother. She was a cunt.” Val didn’t even seemed surprised so I kept on talking. “Last night, I found out that Rue was my niece and Adrian’s daughter. Also, I found out that Finley has breast cancer. She claims that she’ll be fine because they caught it early, but you never know.”

The girl on top of me frowned. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah. I’m sure everything will be fine.” I sat up and kissed her lips before lifting her off of me. “I have to get ready for work. What time are your classes today? Did I tell you that my brother is moving in with us?” I stood up from the bed and started walking towards the bathroom.

“You invited your brother to stay with us!?”

“He was being annoying!”

“You could’ve said something to me first!” Val got up from the bed and stomped over to me. She smacked me on the back of the head and I yelled out in pain.

“Don’t hit me there! I nearly busted my head open last night, idiot!”

“How!?”

“Why’re you still screaming!?”

“Because you’re screaming at me, Zennifer!” I sighed and rolled my eyes. “What the hell were you doing last night that made you hurt your head?” Val made me turn around so she could examine the back of my head. “All I see is fucking hair.”