$32

I stared at all of the cans that were lined up on the shelf. Grocery shopping wasn’t something that I was good at. I would know exactly what I wanted to get before going to the grocery store, but as soon as I stepped into the place I forgot everything that I wanted to fucking get. It was overly frustrating and you would think after countless annoying visits to the store, I would finally make a shopping list, but no. I’m too lazy to even make one. Thankfully, I had my girlfriend to remind me what I needed to get, but now she was off to get us some bread. I grabbed a couple cans of corn and put them into the grocery cart. “Excuse me,” a voice said from behind me. I pushed the cart and moved away from the cans for whoever it was, so they could get their groceries. I made a wide turn with the cart to get out of the aisle, but I nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw the woman who had just excused herself. My stomach churned and my mouth ran dry. I hadn’t seen the woman in about five years. Over the years, I’ve heard of her from her brother, Gavin and Jade, but the last time I saw her was when I was in jail, right before my dad sent me off to rehab.

I stood there just staring at her with my mouth wide open. She must’ve felt my eyes on her because she turned around. Her blue eyes widened as she stared at me. She hadn’t changed one bit. Everything about her was the same from the way she styled her hair to the way that she dressed. We stared at each other in complete awe before a little girl ran up to us. “Momma!” I looked at the little girl who looked like a small replica of the woman. No fucking way.

“You’re a mother?”

“And a wife.” She cleared her throat before turning towards her daughter. “What’s up, ladybug?” I couldn’t believe this. Finley was not only a mother, but someone’s wife. What else has happened in the past five fucking years?”

“Daddy got the last loaf of bread!” She’s fucking straight now? Now, I’ve seen and heard it all. How in the world could she be straight after being with me? I turned straight girls into lesbians. I made bisexual girls never question their sexuality again, and turned them into fucking lesbians. So, it was impossible that Finley had turned straight or even bisexual.

“Yes, Daddy did!” I looked over to the deep voice to see a blond guy walking over towards us. He looked oddly familiar. I stared at him for a while and then it dawned on me. He was the one who arrested me that time. She married him? A police officer? All of this was unbelievable. Finley had nice clothes, as well as her daughter, and husband, they seemed to be living the suburban lifestyle, and for some reason I couldn’t picture Finley living like that. She seemed to be happy, at least. At the end, that’s all that mattered. The guy twirled the loaf of bread before putting it down in the basket. He looked over at me and he smiled a bit harder. “You look very familiar. What’s your name?”

“Zen. You arrested me once.” The guy laughed awkwardly before scratching the back of his head.

“Whoa, you’ve been arrested,” the little girl asked as she ran to stand in front of me. “That means you’re a bad girl. Oooo, I like your drawings.” She stared at the tattoos on my arm in awe before turning towards her parents. “Can I get drawings like her for my birthday!? Please!?”

“Not until you’re 18 and you have enough money to pay for them yourself, kid,” her father responded. The little girl giggled at her father and ran over to hug his legs. “I’m Beck, by the way.” He reached his hand out to me and I took it. Just as I let his hand go, a pair of heels clicking was heard racing down the aisle.

“Some asshole took the last loaf of bread! Can you believe that!?”

I snorted at my girlfriend before chuckling to myself. Wrapping my arm around her waist, I turned back to Finley and Beck. “Val, this is Finley, and that’s Beck, also known as the asshole who took the last loaf of bread.” I then looked down at the little girl who was staring at us adorably. I bent down so I was her size, even though I wasn’t that much taller than her. Usually, I didn’t like kids, but this little girl looked just like Finley and she was just too adorable to not like. “And what’s your name?”