$31

Val showed me around the place, much like the lady before, but this time it was way more entertaining. What made her tour entertaining was her accent and the way she pronounced her words. I could only understand half the shit she said. Constantly, I would laugh at her accent and she’d get mad and start yelling at me, but that only made me laugh more. We clicked right from the start. She was a nice girl with amazing looks, and I sure as hell would bang her. But for once in my life, sex was the last thing on my mind. The only thing I was thinking about was getting the hell out of this hell hole. Val made it seem like it wasn’t that bad. “All you have to do is act like you’re progressing. Be nice. Participate in group conversations, and have long, intriguing conversations with your counselor. If you act like you want to change, they’ll believe you have changed, and then you can get the hell out of here. I’ve seen people come in and out within days.”

“Really,” I asked her as I followed her outside towards the pools. She laid back in the lounging chair, and I sat on the edge of a lounging chair beside hers.

“Really. When I first got here, I was feisty. I didn’t want to listen to anyone, but now I’ve learned the ropes. My counselor said she thinks I’ll be able to leave within a couple of weeks.” I smiled a bit at the new information. I was certainly going to be on my best behavior. I’d answer any question given to me by my counselor or whoever else who ranked higher over me. All I wanted to do was to go home and if I needed to act like a complete suck up for that to happen, then so be it. “Where are you from, Zen? Your accent is really damn annoying. Do you know that?”

“I could say the same about you,” I replied with a bit of a smirk. She laughed and I sat back in the lounging chair. “I’m from New Jersey. Where are you from?”

“Portugal.”

“I thought you were like Spanish or something. You had me fooled. Where the hell is Portugal even at?” Val looked at me as if I was joking, but I gave her a serious look. She playfully rolled her brown eyes at me before looking towards the pool. “I’m serious. Is it like a country?”

“No, asshole, it’s a continent. Of course, it’s a country! It’s in Europe.” I nodded my head slowly. I was never good at geography. All I fvcking knew was where America was and I knew Italy was shaped like a fvcking boot. That’s it. I know it’s a bit ignorant, but when have I ever gave a fvck? “What else don’t you know? List me all seven continents.” I raised an eyebrow at the girl. “You heard me! Tell me all seven continents.” I pressed my lips together and thought as hard as I can. What were the seven continents?

“North America, South America, Europe…” Val looked at me expectantly. “That’s all I know.” She laughed with amusement and I felt a bit embarrassed.

“Asia, Africa, Antarctica, and Australia were the rest. I’m going to have to school you because your knowledge of geography is quite horrendous. In Portugal, in school, we had to know all the countries and all the continents. Did you know that there are 196 countries in the world, that’s only if you count Taiwan? Taiwan is like the Pluto on Earth. To some people, it doesn’t count as a country, which is utter bullshit,” Val replied a bit passionately.

“When the hell did you move here, Ms. Portugal.”

“I moved here when I was 15. I’ll give America its props. The grading system is much easier to understand, but you people are dumb as hell. It’s only because the teachers suck. Any stupid person can pass any class, and it’s not fair to students, like myself, who strive to study hard and excel and actually want an education.”

“So, you’re smart?”

“I graduated top of my class. I was the valedictorian.”

I snorted before laughing. “I was the complete opposite. I barely graduated. The principal got tired of me causing shit so he just let me walk the stage. My little sister is really smart though. She’s in college.”