Randy | There's No Way

A/N: Based off the song by Lauv and Julia Michaels. I was listening to it today and it just hit me how much the lyrics fitted. 

* a n d y *

It was almost like we knew there would be history. 

Before we even said two words to each other. Back when he wore beanies and ran around all day with a GoPro. Back flips and bunk beds and brown hair never the way he wanted it to look. Even in those early days, we knew. 

It was in the way that we were looking at each other; in vlogs and in the kitchen and at parties with his hand on his girlfriend's hip. It was in the way we were never 'him and I' but always an 'us'. Shared dreams and destinies brought us closer together and got in the way at the same time. We were straight and we were never supposed to and yet we still just knew. There was no way it wasn't going there. 

We'd dance around the truth as we danced together, always backing up into each other like it was an accident. We kept our feelings covered, secrets that we got used to living in all the tiny gaps between us. But whenever we touched, we knew. There was a someday waiting for us. 

Over the years we got good at keeping the tension in check. It was the wild beast we learned to tame, though we knew someday it would turn on us, mercilessly. We kept it at bay, never letting the timing line up. When he was with somebody I was alone and when he was alone I would find somebody. We held it off with all the best excuses, knowing that one day we would run out of them. One day 'almost' wouldn't be enough. 

But after five years of 'almost' I was beginning to lose faith that it would ever happen. We were just too skilled at keeping secrets, too convincing when we lied to ourselves. Snippets of the truth only ever escaping into the open through the song lyrics I was struggling to write. 

"Andy!" He called, swinging into my room. Not a boy anymore but very much a man, still the same brown hair and two left feet that I almost fell in love with so many times over. "You want pizza?"

"I'm on a diet," I reminded him, looking up from my guitar strings to meet his deep brown eyes before they rolled back into his skull. 

"Shepherd's Bush is over," he pointed out. "And we have no food in the house right now."

"Go on then," I relented with a sigh. "Small pepperoni."

"Large pepperoni, got it," he grinned ducking out of my doorframe before I could berate him. I'd eat the whole thing and he knew it. 

I didn't realise nobody else was in the house until the pizzas arrived, only two boxes. We decided to eat them in his room on the couch with the TV on. The miles of space surrounding us was worlds away from the one bedroom flat we used to cram into. We never got used to it, always feeling more comfortable being at close proximity. Our knees touched for no good reason as we laughed through each cheesy bite, me falling to the floor after the last one, full of regret. 

"Food baby," I moaned, cradling my bloated midsection. Rye toed my tummy with his socked foot, making me swat at him. 

"Name it after me, yeah?"

"Well you are the daddy," I responded. 

Rye bit his lip. "What?"

"Because you bought the pizza," I clarified, voice stern. "Mind out of the gutter, Beaumont."

A slow grin stretched across his face and our eyes locked, holding it just a sliver of a moment too long. Here was that tension again, rearing its beastly head. But this was nothing we couldn't handle. A relatively minor infraction, as far as we were concerned, having quashed far more dangerous moments than a simple innuendo. Like the jokey kisses we'd pretended were normal between friends, or the times we'd held hands because we needed to, then never talked about it.