Chapter 14

“Did you really think I wouldn’t be able to find you?” Davos asked as he threw her to the ground in the cockpit of the ship.

He sat in the pilot’s seat and turned it to face her. 

“Sure, I had to hurt your dear old grandmother a little bit before she’d tell me where she had sent you, but I think it was worth it.” 

Elara struggled against her restraints, trying to cry out.

“Don’t worry, she’s still alive.” 

Tears streaked down Elara’s face at the thought of her Gran being harmed. She vowed that she would hurt Davos, no matter what it took. 

“It wasn’t hard to track you down from there. Word about a Hapan woman outside of Hapes spreads pretty quickly in this galaxy.” He said as he crossed his legs.

He leaned back in his chair as if they were having a casual chat.

“But really, the Mandalorian was a shock. You have no idea what he looks like under that helmet. How can you stand having him touch you? He could look like a bantha for all you know. Oh, have I touched a nerve?” He asked squinting his eyes at her.

“You’ve always been such a hopeless romantic, Elara. That’s your weakness. What if I told you that he doesn’t care about you? He just wants you for your body, same as me and everyone else. No one wants to hear you prattle on about feelings and love.” Davos spat at her venomously. 

Elara looked up at Davos’s handsome face. More than anything she wanted to smash her fist into it.

“Don’t worry. I’ll get you home where we can finalize our union and consummate the marriage.” He said, turning towards the ships controls. 

Elara cried out and tried to fight her restraints. She couldn’t let him take her away. She couldn’t go back to Hapes. She couldn’t lose the Mandalorian. 

“Shut up or I will shut you up myself.” Davos said as he glared at her harshly. 

He began to press buttons, but as he tried to turn the engines on they failed to turnover. 

“Damn it!” He shouted in a rage. 

He slammed his fists onto the control panel. Davos stood and stomped out of the cockpit. She heard the cargo bay open. She lay there quietly, hoping the Mandalorian could find a way to save her. After a few minutes Davos’s loud footsteps echoed through the ship. He looked slightly panicked. 

“The capacitor has been damaged. Luckily I have a spare. Sit tight while I get it fixed.” He told her with a smile, as if he hadn’t just beat her and tied her up. 

As he walked away again, Elara decided that deranged was the best way to describe him. She closed her eyes and tried her best not to cry. A few minutes later she heard quieter footsteps.

“Elara?” A voice called in a whisper. 

She recognized it as Cara’s. Elara strained against her restraints and tried to make as much noise as she could. Cara entered the cockpit and set her blaster down to pull Elara up to a sitting position.

“Geez, El. You gave us a scare.” She said as she began to peel the tape off of her mouth.

Elara let out a scream as Davos’s tall form entered the cockpit. He pointed a blaster at Cara. Cara turned just as a blaster charge hit her square in the chest. Elara screamed and began to sob as Cara’s body slumped over in front of her. 

“Oh calm down, it’s just set to stun. We’ll dump her here before we leave.” Davos told her dismissively as he put a boot on Cara’s back and kicked her away. 

He roughly slapped the tape against her mouth again. Over his shoulder Elara saw movement in the hall that connected the cargo bay to the cockpit. She swore it was a glint of metal. She looked away instinctively, not wanting to draw Davos’s attention in that direction. 

“Just a few more minutes, dearest, and then we’ll be on our way home.” Davos said in a cloyingly sweet voice.

He laughed and then kicked her in the stomach. Elara struggled to catch her breath with the tape securely covering her mouth. She glanced up as Davos turned to exit the cockpit and found himself face to face with the Mandalorian. Davos towered over the Mandalorian. 

“Oh, it’s you.” He said with a smile.

Davos tried to raise his blaster, but the Mandalorian easily knocked it from his hands. The Mandalorian stepped forward and swung a punch at Davos’s face. Davos dodged and grabbed the Mandalorian, throwing him to the floor of the cockpit. Elara tried to cry out as the men wrestled just feet away from her. 

The Mandalorian had an advantage in combat training, but Davos was much larger. Elara’s eyes widely searched around looking for a way to help. She saw the knife that Cara always carried with her on the ground. It must have come unclipped when Davos pushed her over. 

Elara tried her best to inch her tied hands toward the knife. She felt the sheath and she grabbed it triumphantly. She pulled the knife out and carefully flipped it so it was angled upwards. She sat herself up and sawed through her restraints. The sharp knife cut through them easily. 

She looked up to see the Mandalorian struggling against Davos’s bulk. She knew he wouldn’t use his blaster, for fear the charge would bounce and hit her. Davos gripped the Mandalorian’s helmet and was trying to pull it off.

“Let’s see what’s under here.” He said, gritting his teeth. 

The Mandalorian pushed him off and punched Davos square in the face. There was a distinct crunch.

“My face! I think you broke my nose.” Davos shouted with renewed anger as he launched himself back at the Mandalorian.

Elara ripped the tape from her mouth and cut through the restraints on her ankles. Davos was again pulling at the Mandalorian’s helmet. Elara dropped the knife and picked up Cara’s fallen blaster. She smashed Davos in the back of the head, hoping to knock him out. He turned and angrily advanced toward her.

Elara reached down and grabbed the discarded knife. She looked up at Davos and sunk Cara’s knife deep into his gut. His eyes widened as he looked down at her with surprise. She pushed the knife deeper and twisted it. His face contorted in pain. As she pulled it out blood began to pour from his abdomen. He took two more wobbling steps before falling on top of her. 

His heavy body knocked her to the ground with a thump. She felt his bulk being pulled off of her and looked up to see the Mandalorian standing over her. He pulled Elara to her feet and surveyed her. 

She was covered in blood. Some of it her own, but most of it belonged to Davos. The Hapan man lay on the floor of his ship dead. Together they wordlessly pulled Cara up between them and carried her from the ship. They lay her on the transporter Davos had brought Elara to his ship with.

She looked up at him and the Mandalorian could see many emotions swimming in her eyes - fear, pain, and mostly shock. He gently placed his helmet against her forehead and wrapped his arms around her, ignoring the blood coating her skin and clothing. 

“Come on, let’s get out of here.” He said as he gently helped her into the transporter.