Running out of air

Imogen

Drew started his car and drove towards the crowded town. The sky was taking on an apricot tint along with the mango-yellow sun. I looked out the window, felt the warm breeze on my skin, and saw unfamiliar stores. I don't think I've ever been to this town. We arrived at a university, with most of the parking lot full. 

He parked the car by the theater in the university. He pulled open his car door, lightly slamming it, and walked over to my side to open the door for me. His hand immediately tried grabbing onto mine, but I kept my distance from him. We entered the building; Drew gave them a friendly gesture to the guards, which got us inside. He led me into a huge theater that could fit over five thousand people. In the middle of the stage was a white grand piano along with a bench.

"How did you know I love playing the piano?" I said, rushing up the alley to the piano, and he followed right behind me. One of my favorite activities, when I was younger, was playing the piano. My grandfather had an old piano lying around in his house, getting rustier by the day. One day my mother offered to teach me the basics, and I completely fell in love with it. After months of watching piano videos, I learned how to perform my first song for my mother. I sat down on the bench, feeling like I was home. My fingers glided on the keys like it was my second nature. 

Drew placed himself next to me, so close that our shoulders were touching. "Wow! You're amazing, Imogen," he smiled, his eyes filled with amazement.

"When I was younger... my biggest dream was to a professional pianist," I laughed reminiscing about my childhood. 

"There's the smile," he said, poking my dimples, feeling uncontrollable heat rushed to my cheeks. "You're talented enough to be one," his hand caressed my cheeks and shifted to my hair, pulling it down from the bun. He leaned in closer, but I quickly turned away. 

"I became so infatuated with the piano that my grades dropped. My mother banned me from ever playing again. The next day she canceled my lessons and ordered a tutor instead," I said. The smile that was once on my lips disappeared. The more I thought of her, the more my heart ached.

"Oh, I'm sorry about that," he murmured. "We should head out. I only booked the theater for an hour." We both got up from the bench, and I started heading down the stairs. Until I felt Drew tug on my sleeve.

"What?" 

He pulled me in closer but hesitated; he shook his head and released his grip on me. 

"Let's go home," he stated.

------

Once we opened the door, I dashed up the stairs. I collapsed on my warm bed, my head turned to my bed stand glimpsing the photo of my mother. I grabbed it, admiring her beautiful features. She would rarely smile, but when she did, her eyes turned into crescents. I felt my vision becoming blurry and tears dropping in an instant. When I got up from the bed, I looked at the mirror to see how puffy my eyes were. I tried taking my contacts off, which took a few attempts. I then placed a warm towel on my eyes to reduce the swelling from all the tears. 

After making sure my swelling has gone down, I wandered downstairs to join Drew. When I reached the last step, my jaw almost dropped at the sight of a shirtless Drew. His abs looked so defined; if you look down, you could see his v line. At this point, I looked like a little child whose mouth-watered at a candy store. 

"Woah," I covered my eyes with my palm, turning away. "Put your shirt on."

"You know you like what you see," he teased.

I bet he's winking right now, but I can't see. He wasn't wrong, but I can't have his body influence me. It wouldn't hurt to touch it, though.