Alone with Tears

Imogen

I didn't know what had come over Frankie for her to grab my arm and looked at my wrist. I would have told her on my own time, but she had no patience. I heard her yell "Drew" which meant she wasn't able to see Lucas's name on it as well. After class ended, I decided to just end the school day early. Lucas planned to take me on a date later in the evening. I just wanted to go check on my mother, since she called in sick this morning. I wanted to make her some soup and make sure she's comfortable before I go.

/////////////

I reached my house, only to find my door wide open. Did my mother go out and forget to lock the door? Was it possible that someone had broken into my house? I hurried inside, letting my bag collapse to the floor.

"Mom, are you home?" I looked around waiting to hear her response, but the only sound was my bag smacking the floor. There wasn't anything out of place in the living room or kitchen. I plodded up the stairs to check if someone was up there. I went to check out my mother's room first. I opened the knob slowly and looked in to see my mother on the floor covered in blood. 

"Oh my god, Mom!" I was shaken up, to say the least. I felt the pain begin like a cluster of spark plugs in my abdomen. Tension grew on my face and limbs, my eyes stuck on her body. Her eyes were wide open, displaying that she died in horror. 

"Mom! No! No, I'm dreaming! I'm dreaming!" First, one small crystal bead escapes from my right eye.  

Tears welled from deep inside and coursed down my cheeks. I could no longer hold my heartbreak and fell to the floor in a disheveled heap as grief poured out in a flood of uncontrollable tears. Sniffing every ten seconds, they fall and fall, and I let them.

"You can't be dead!" Who could do this to her? I closed her tear-stained eyes so she could be at peace. I gripped her body tightly, felt my limbs trembling, and salty tears wetting her clothes. I held on to her body like she was still there, but she wasn't; her body was drained of blood, which was now all over me. I didn't care about my blood-stained clothes; I just wanted her back. 

I kept hearing the buzzing of the doorbell, snapping me out of my thoughts. I totally forgot about the date, but I can't go now. I don't want to leave my mother's body. I just wanted to feel her warm embrace one more time. I gently placed my mother's body on the floor, releasing her from my hold. My eyes found a crumpled piece of paper on the floor, blood all over it. My trembling hands grabbed it, unfolding it to see a message.

"Don't call the police or tell anyone, unless you want to them die too :)"

Does that mean it was planned? Did they come after my mother on purpose? Why? What did she do to deserve this?

The doorbell kept ringing, interrupting my thoughts. I walked down the stairs, getting ready to face Lucas. I tried wiping the stained tears streaming down my face.

"Lucas, I don't think I can go tonight. I'm busy," I sighed, hiding my body behind the door.

"Are you crying?" he asked, his twinkling blue eyes deeply searching mine.

"No, I'm not- Just, please leave," I could feel tears start pouring out again. I just wanted to be left alone with my mother. I couldn't risk involving him in this. He could be killed too.

His eyes filled with concern, "No, please let me help," he protested.

 I tried to close the door, but he placed his foot between it. He ended up having a better grip and opening it. His eyes instantly went to the blood splotches on my shirt. Before he could ask any questions, I rushed upstairs.