(21) GIEFB Syndrome

Chapter 21

Games : Lame :: Food : Fun

Kriss's little hand gripped mine with a lot of force, a deathly force. His face never stayed in one place but mine always did, on her face. The lights bounced off her eyes, her teeth were all showing in her toothy smile and the way she ran made me believe she was happy, maybe even excited.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I'm so excited! Come on, Emerson, let's go! What is that? It looks dangerous. Can we ride it, oh please, oh please, oh please?"

I laughed full heartily at her enthusiasm as she tugged me towards the entrance. I heard the music from far in the parking lot and easily smell the popcorn and hot dogs. The lights of the Ferris Wheel shone and I could see them moving even from how far away it was. "I take it you're excited?" I asked and Kriss looked at me as if I was stupid, a look that she learned from Evie ... who I should probably keep her away from more often.

"Well, duh," See what I mean? "I've never been to one before! I'm so happy. Thank you Emerson, thank you so, so, so, so, so, so much!"

I looked at her bright smiling face which looked back at me with adoration. I could feel a blush run up around my face and I smiled, turning my face away. "No prob," I managed to choke out as we crossed through the threshold from parking lot to wonderland land. Or at least you would have thought it was wonderland due to the look of jubilation and bewilderment, this one was definitely one for the books or at least the secret photo album in my head.

"Ooh, oh, oh!" I was nearly sent forward into the dirt due to Kriss tugging me forward and pointing at a booth with zeal. "Look, Emmie, look at that! It's so cute. Can we get it?" I looked at what she was pointing at, a stuffed animal brown wolf with soft looking fur.

The game looked simple enough, toss a ring onto the top of a bottle and the more rings you get on the bottles the bigger the prize you get. The brown wolf was on the second shelf so this should be easy, I'm a werewolf.

"Excuse me," I said to the girl at the booth trying to get her attention. She looked up and squealed excitedly.

"Emerson James, what are you doing here at the festival?" Charmaine jumped around looking at me expectantly.

"Just showing Kriss here around," I chuckled nervously as Charmaine "Ooh"-ed while looking at the hands Kriss and I were holding. I quickly let go of her hand but ... my hand was twitching goddamn it! I grabbed her elbow, I just felt like if I didn't keep a hold on her I could loose her in the crowd. "Kriss this is Charmaine, and Charmaine this is Kriss,"

Charmaine wiggled her eyebrows at me, "So ... what are ya'll two doin'?" I don't think Charmaine knew how to be subtle to save her life. Like every two seconds she looked at me and winked, so much that Kriss leaned toward me and asked if she had a problem with her eye, which she does. It's called Getting-Into-Everyone's-Fucking-Business syndrome (or GEFB for short). It's sad and only those with no lives of their own get it, and start nosing into other people's lives! "Out for a couple's night out?" Wink, wink, she smiled knowingly at me.

"What? No! Kriss is my friend and I decided to show her around the festival." I argued and Charmaine looked disappointed. Does Kriss look old enough to be my girlfriend?

"I've never been to the festival," Kriss told Charmaine. "I've only heard of carnivals and stuff from books. I thought they like ate meat?"

"Ha ha, no those are carnavoirs who only eat meat! Don't worry, I get those messed up too. Carnivals are like festivals and usually have fantastic food. I mean, just down that street, if you turn left they have those huge Vegas Style buffet that has like the awesome-est food ever!" Charmaine suggested. Alright, now we're talking. Food, I can handle food. Women? Not so much...