(8) Foghorn Leghorn Holds The Secret To The Universe

Chapter 8

Dinner : Good :: Pie : Freakin' Awesome

The sound of cartoon hammers and mallets (and a slight weight on my stomach) woke me from the dream I was having. It had kind of been like Tom & Jerry except Jerry wasn't mouse but a wolf. A both Tom and Jerry were teamed up to go against a different cat. I wasn't fully awake though until that weight on my stomach started bouncing up and down. It didn't really hurt it was just ... unusual.

Slowly and groggily I opened my eyes to see Kriss sitting Indian style on my stomach, bouncing up and down in anticipation while totally transfixed on what was happening on TV. I watched her eye follow the characters on the screen with vivacious and effervescent concentration as if Foghorn Leghorn's and Charlie Dog's fighting held the key to the secret of life and all the universe.

"Kids, dinner time." I heard my mom shout from the kitchen. How long had I been out? I don't know, maybe a few hours. I had very little sleep last night with the nightmare's images keeping my brain from shutting down.

I sat up, making Kriss slide down a little but she didn't notice, still set on the TV. "Come on, Kriss." I poked her side getting her attention. "Time to eat?" I stood up and held my hand for her to grab.

"Fish?" She asked grabbing my hand. What is up with this girl and fish?

"I don't know, we'll have to see." I chuckled as she stood. Then she looked up at me with two dimples in her cheeks and wide smile. I don't know what took over me but I scooped her up and hugged her, carrying her to the dining room.

When she saw the dining room her smile got bigger. Our house wasn't that big and neither was our dining room. We had a long dining table that sat eight people, food running up and down it. Tonight we were having spaghetti and Mom always made the best spaghetti.

Kriss stood behind my the whole time as we entered. My sister was already at the table, at a seat across from Grant. Both of them were looking at the food with lust. If us werewolves knew anything it was how to eat. I pulled out a chair and let Kriss slide in before I sat between her and Grant just as my parents sat down.

Then we dug in.

I had to help Kriss, of course. I don't think she's ever seen a fork before or any eating utensil for that matter. She looked at the spaghetti as if it could attack her any minute and I rolled my eyes, grabbing her fork. I cut a little bit of the spaghetti and forced it onto the fork then held it to her mouth. She looked skeptical but opened her mouth none the less. I've never fed anyone before and it was strange but the look on Kriss's face, that look of wonder made it all worth it.

I don't thing I'd ever get tired of that expression.

"It good?" I asked and she nodded enthusiastically. "Good, this is what you do." I picked up her hand closest to me and put it around the fork. I set it on the plate and swirled it in the spaghetti making it wrap around the fork then held it to her mouth. "Understand?" She nodded at me again, taking the fork from my grasp. I laughed when she started shoveling pasta in her mouth. "Slow down, Tex. Don't want you to choke." She looked at me like I had three heads ... and and twelve eyes then began shoveling the food in her mouth again like Kid Flash, making me chuckle.

Man, I was starved. Sure, we've only had Kriss for one real day. But this whole thing was tiring. If I could, would I not have took Kriss with me?

I looked down at her to my left. Her hand was a blur going from the plate to her mouth, her face inches away from the plate. She paused for second to look at me and give me a giant cheek-filled smile with eyes the size of saucers.

No, it wouldn't change it for the world.

"Emerson, dear, would you pass me the salad?" I looked at the seat across from Kriss to see my mom smiling at me with a sly red lips and a cocked eyebrow.

I passed the salad, giving her a look but she just looked away as if nothing happened. I rolled my eyes and went to help Kriss with other foods. After awhile I figured she had the fork and spoon mastered but I still helped her cut because I didn't trust her small hands with a knife and Dr. Todden had said she was very fragile. I didn't want to take any risk with her.

I was eating a lot. I think between Kriss and I, we ate the majority of the food. Garlic bread, spaghetti, salad, and for desert the sweet deliciousness of apple pie. It was warm with a nice crust that was crunchy without falling apart. It had just enough cinnamon and apples to make your mouth water. Warm and toasty with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, Blue Bell ice cream. I worried Kriss would have trouble scooping the slippery apple slices onto her spoon or onto the fork so instead I got a giant piece for both of us and helped her get both ice cream, apple, and crust in one bite. In the end I think she had more apple pie than I did. And I fucking love that stuff but I've had it all my life and in the end I though Kriss would enjoy it more.

I finished off my milk, starring at Kriss's empty glass. I set my cup down then turned to Kriss, her eyes barely holding up. She was swaying, her eyes would open and close and stay closed for awhile before she opened them wide again. She must have been really sleepy.

Shit, if I had a tough and exhausting day her's had to been ten times that much. She had been overwhelmed today with all this stuff she never even heard of. "You can go to sleep." I whispered in her ear. Immediately she leaned back and fell asleep against my shoulder. I kept my left arm around to her to keep her from falling off the chair. She was real sweet looking as she slept.

I frown. Her black hair would need to be cut, I'm sure all that mess couldn't be comfortable and how long had it been since it was cut? She would also need clothes. My sister's clothes were too big and I'm sure she would want to wear that square piece of fabric dress she wore when we first met. She had looked like a hospital patient. And a bath would be nice for her. Has she ever had a bath? She smelled ... normal, a little like antiseptic from the doctors but that's it.

"Son?" I looked up to my dad. "Dr. Todden should be here in a few minutes. Why don't you get her settled in a room then meet me in the study?" I nodded to him but I really didn't want to leave Kriss.

I gathered her up in my arms then turned to my right. "Grant can you watch Kriss while I'm gone? It'll only be a little while."

He smiled then frowned. "No, I gotta go to see Jamie at the hospital pretty soon. She's going through that ultra-sound or whatever it's called. But Drew, I think, would love to."

I shifted feet. Yeah, I trusted Drew but he was so childish. But Kriss is pretty childish too so that shouldn't be so bad. "Yeah, I'll do that. Thank's Grant."

"No problem, man." He said, giving a slap on the shoulder which I scowled at. Kriss was still asleep and I didn't want to wake her. "Sorry, sorry," He chuckled then added a mumbled, "Mr. Protector."

"Bye, Grant." Kriss whispered in my arms and I smiled.

"Bye, Kitty." Grant chuckled before he left.

~~~~~~

Heyyy guys!!! I was so weirded out last chapter ... in a good way. I mean I started out with exactly 380 reads and 100 vote then after posting last chaoter it jumped to 412 reads and 114 votes and like six more comments. I love you guys and all this "Plz post more" stuff is driving me crazy because I'm like "OKAY!" but then I wouldn't be following my schedule and I HAVE TO FOLLOW MY SCHEDULE so just so we all remember

I post Wednesday or Monday for an early update. No more than once a week ... Execpt this week but that's because I CAN'T FREAKING WAIT FOR YOU GUYS TO READ THE NEXT CHAPTER!!!!

ALSO! This is kind of weird and I want to know your opinion.

Okay, someone's book (no naming names) has 907 reads, 42 votes, 5 parts, and is #22 on paranormal. Now, my book, Upside Down has (before this chapter) 412 reads, 114 votes, 8 parts, and is  #241 in paranormal.

How the hell is that!?!?!?!?!?!

Please, tell your friends or something about my book because I was actually thinking about entering the Watty Awards for the best female character award. Doesn't Kriss deserve it?