Chapter 29: Succulents

Growing up under Yoketron's benevolent wing, within the walls of the Cyberninja Dojo, he had always taught and encouraged his students to live a minimalistic life to let go of desire for any unnecessary materialistic wants in order to achieve enlightenment and serenity.

Mantis was no exception to this.

She wasn't a materialist and had no problem with being a minimalist but whenever she could, she didn't mind putting some thought and dedication into decorating something or starting small collections of knick-knacks that piques her interest.

Coming to Earth, she's already decorated her room but.......it still didn't feel enough. Coming to this organic planet has also widened her horizons and sparked new interests in her.

Nature- first and foremost-, anime, art, songs and......

Yard sales and street bazaars.

It was kinda like a treasure hunt. Follow the right path and dig around and eventually, BOOM! You've found yourself a treasure.

Some people think yard sales only sell useless junk or second-hand half decent usable stuff but well....one man's trash is another man's treasure as they say.

"Why are we here again when we could be at a mall?" Sari asked Mantis.

Currently, the two girls- with Mantis deploying her holoform in order to not draw unnecessary attention- were walking around a merry street bazaar. Stalls were set around and lanterns waiting to be lit up to glow proudly at night were strung up. The atmosphere was pleasant and lively with all kinds of shopkeepers yelling out their offers in an attempt to sell more of their wares, people haggling and bargaining for more reasonable prices, children shrieking with laughter, adults chatting away with family, lovers or friends and food trying to lure customers.

It gave a sense of lively ambiance overall.

"A mall's so cliche." Mantis said with a wave of her hand. It wasn't easy to maintain her holoform for so long at such a long distance but she managed. Other than the occasional flicker and the need to intensely focus when she wants to touch solid objects, she was faring pretty well.

Since walking around in a motorbike helmet would be pretty suspicious, she gave her holoform the face of an Asian girl wearing a pair of dark blue and purple sunglasses and long glossy black hair tied half up in a bun like her Cybertronian self.

"But what could you possibly find in a place like thi- AAAAH!" Sari screamed in surprised when she came face to face with a wooden tribal mask with a creepy ear to ear sharp toothed grin etched on it.

Mantis laughed and Sari scowled. The red-haired girl tried to punch Mantis but her hand merely phased through the holoform.

"Lots of stuff. You just gotta know where to look. Think of it as a treasure hunt lottery." Mantis said, putting the mask down. "You can find some pretty interesting stuff here that malls don't have."