Chapter Fourteen ~ Something To Believe In

"So what do you want for your birthday?" I asked Jon. I was currently sitting on his lap while he was sitting on the bed.

"Let's see, a new girlfriend would be nice." He said, staring right into my eyes, not smiling. My smile turned into a frown and I got off of him. I got off the bed and backed into the wall. I knew that from the look on his face, he wasn't joking around.

"Wh-what?"

"You heard me. I don't want you here. Leave now." He said, his eyes still fixed on me.

I stood still, thinking at what I have done to make him so angry to the point where he doesn't want me near him.

"Don't just stand there! Leave!" He yelled, getting up. He walked over to me, grabbed my arm, and dragged me out on to the porch of his small house.

Once he let go, he lightly pushed me to move forward, and so I did.

"If you're smart, you won't come back!" He yelled as I kept walking. I didn't dare to look back at the man that I love. I only kept moving forward, my eyes glued to the long sidewalk.

When I heard the door slam shut, I knew that he really didn't want me to come back.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

And that's how I ended up, here, at an old park that no one seems to go to.

It was slightly raining. The sky was filled with dark clouds, telling me that if I didn't find a place with a roof, then I'd be soaked in water.

But I didn't have anything, only my phone which was close to dying.

I heard someone sit down next to me, then say, "You are the best diva on the roster, yet, you're sitting in a dumb, old park and people are probably mistaking you for being homeless. Where is Jon?"

I looked to my right, to see a young girl, about 13 or 14 years old. "What?" I paused. "Oh."

"Let me guess, you guys are fighting?"

"Yeah." I said quietly. Who is this girl?

"You can tell me if you want. I kinda have problems going on right now, too."

I took a deep breath. "Well, it's just, today's his birthday. I asked him what he wanted and he says, 'Let's see, a new girlfriend would be nice.' I was so shocked and He starts to drag me out of his home. All my things are there and I don't know what to do." I said, tears falling out of my eyes.

The girl frowned, a few tears falling out of her eyes as well. "I'm sorry." She said.

I shake my head. "No, it's okay. Tell me what's going on with you."

"Well, I have a best friend, more like 'had' I guess. Her name is Raven. We've been best friends since we were little toddlers." She said. I imagined everything she spoke. "We'd been so close. But then, a month after this school year started, a new girl comes to our school. Raven introduces herself and I to the new girl who is named Mally. She sits at our lunch table that day, and Raven just completely blocks me out of the conversation. It sucked for me, y'know? Because at that moment I knew that they would leave me out at everything. And it happened. Just yesterday, Raven and her came to school with matching necklaces. The necklace that I gave to her was no longer being worn. It was replaced by another necklace. And so, I stopped talking to her. I stopped trying. It really sucks. And when I see you on TV, I just smile and tell myself that I'm gonna be like you. I'm gonna forget every bad thing that's happened to me in my childhood one day and I'm gonna be a wrestler just like you." She says, smiling up at the darkened sky.

More tears fell out off my eyes, but I stayed silent. This girl, has been through a lot. Losing her childhood friend like that, but she finds a way to stay strong. Even though she thinks about it and it makes her unhappy, she still gets on through.

It's like when someone is holding you down, and you feel like you're losing everything, somehow you still find a way to pull yourself up and survive.

That is what this girl is going through day after day in her life.

I was inspired. 

I finally had the courage to speak. "I don't know how you can go through it. You must be really strong. I'm sorry, though." I said, giving her a side hug.

"I just miss her like crazy. She's helped me through a lot, and she's like a sister to me. But I just don't know why she would do such a thing."

The girl got off the bench and offered a had to help me up which I accepted.

"I gotta get going. You're probably about to fall asleep because of listening about a part of my awful life." She said, added a small chuckle. "It was good seeing my hero."

"Thank you for listening to me. I needed to tell someone. It was good seeing you." I said, giving her another hug.

"Oh, and by the way. The name's Erika." She said, shaking my hand. "I hope you and Jon can fix your relationship. You both are my favorites. I wouldn't want to see something bad happen to you guys."

She started to walk away but stopped and turned around for the last time, 'Oh, and Kathryn?" She said. "Thank you." She turned around and walked away, bookbag hanging on one shoulder.

I smiled and slowly waved at her, even though she couldn't see me.

I sat back down on the bench and looked up at the sky until my phone buzzed.

Come and get your stuff. -Jon

And so I sighed, got up, and walked back to his house. I didn't let the tears fall out this time.