Chapter 28

Author's Note: This is a very long chapter. I'm not going to add more by making this a super long A/N, but this is just reassurance that I will be getting my updating schedule back to an update a week! Don't forget to vote or comment if you enjoyed! 

Chapter 28

With a puff of air from my frozen lips, I check back into reality inside a small, low-lit room. I glance up, my eyes in slits, and immediately regret it when my vision swims.

“Hello?” I croak. There’s no response, only a constant, suspicious clunking.

It all comes rushing back: the events leading up to our re-capture, and I groan, curling my numb fingers into a fist. It’s a half-assed, groggy effort.

“Ariel Song—one of the most powerful Cambions in the world, personally sponsored by Lilith,” I huff to myself, prying my eyes wide, wide open against the pounding headache. “Taken down with an aerosol can.”

I roll myself to sit flatly on my butt. A low thump reverberates against my temple. Massaging the bridge of my nose is no help. 

Christ. What was in that mist? Rohypnol in its gaseous form?

I rub my eyes, pressing down hard. Blotchy spots appear, clearing my vision slightly when they fade.

There is a flat-screen TV on the far wall, and vents by the ceiling blowing out a tempest. I shiver violently, drawing my knees closer.

“Hello?” I shout this time, my voice clearer. “Let me out!”

My thin clothing is nothing against this arctic temperature. Lying on the tiled floor is like lying on ice. I stumble to my feet, very nearly crashing right down again.

It’s then that I realize there’s one, lone, red chain on my ankle. Was the telepathy anklet finally perfected? I’m not in the mood to test it out.

I have six other abilities to fall back on anyway.

“Where’s my brother?” I yell to the empty room. There’s got to be surveillance somewhere. “Where’re my friends?” 

No one responds. The clunking continues. It kind of sounds like chains coming from above me. Another prisoner, perhaps. 

I lurch towards what I think is the door, thumping the side of my hand against the freezing metal. I alight my hand with blazing fire, and although it does nothing to the heat-resistant metal, the effort is still there. 

“I don’t know what I’m doing in here, but I will get out!” There’s only silence. “I will get out,” I scream, “and I will end you!”

“Whoever is yelling, do stop. I can hear you from downstairs.”

I whirl around, fists raised and telekinesis ready, but the voice came from the TV on the wall. 

There’s a humming of a burning in my throat, and it goes from the flicker of a match to a raging wildfire at the sight of Aunt Nelly’s face taking up most of the screen. A small ever-present smile graces her face. 

I know immediately that this is the supposed clone. This is the Aunt Nelly I met, who betrayed us and tried to destroy us. 

“I hope you aren’t horribly offended I’m not there personally,” she’s saying onscreen, cocking her head. “It’s just that all of you have full control over your abilities and I’m not stupid.” 

She’s addressing all of us then, not just me.

“I probably won’t need to keep precaution for long though,” she says. Her words are baiting, and I can’t figure out why.