Chapter 11

Chapter 11

I am stunned, frozen and unable to move. Sasha is only able to open and close her mouth.

"We'll go find a phone right away," I splutter.

I wipe the mirror clean, and march out the bathroom for the payphone right outside.

"That's terrible!" Sasha exclaims to where she thinks the spirit is, hovering next to me. "How long has it been?"

The spirit holds up three fingers.

"Three years?" I guess. She shakes her head. "Three months?" She nods.

I don't have any money on me, but after wriggling around with a bit of telekinesis, the line becomes available. I dial 911, and it connect to a dispatcher after a few moments.

"911. What's your emergency?"

"I'd like to report a dead body and homicide," I say. "Adenine Edwards is buried in section 7B at the back of the international airport in San Francisco. She went missing three months ago."

"Which airport exactly is this?" I hiss to Sasha, hand over the receiver.

She shrugs. "They'll have location identification anyway. It doesn't matter."

"The killer was her stepfather," I continue saying into the receiver. "If you search his house, the weapon is still hidden in his closet."

"Wha-" Before the dispatcher can say anything else, I hang up.

"Why don't you show us where you are, so we can make sure the police show up," I say to Adenine.

She starts floating off, Sasha and I closely on her heels.

Jesse's voice floats into my head as we walk. «Ariel? What's taking so long?»

«Don't worry about it,» I reply. «We're just taking care of a wayward spirit.»

«A what

«I just reported a murder. Isn't that exciting?»

I hear Jesse's alarmed voice resonate in my head clearly. «Okay, back up. Murder?»

«Can't talk now,» I say quickly. «Sasha and I'll be back soon.»

I block him out before he can ask anything else.

"How long do you think it will take them to show up?" I ask.

"Police do tend to take homicide claim seriously," Sasha says. "But it takes them longer to check out a dead body than a dying body."

I wonder how long it took police to discover and investigate the homicide scene we left behind back in Auckland.

Adenine stops, and points at a locked storage door.

Shortcut, she mouths. She steps right through the door, although when Sasha tries the knob, it's locked.

"I got this," I say, kneeling.

Blinking, the door appears to me in indigo lines. I hold up a palm to move the block of metal, but I stop, realizing this is actually a really complicated lock.

"Er, Sasha, fill me in on how to pick a lock?"

"How many little metal things do you see coming down?" she asks.

I squint until the lines deepen. So telekinesis serves quite usefully as x-ray vision too. How useful. "Five."

"Jiggle around until you find the one that moves, then click it up. Jiggle around the four others until you find the next that moves, and click. Keep repeating until you've clicked them all, and then turn."