Chapter 10

Author's Note: Hello readers! The next chapter will be up tomorrow, since it's technically a two-part with this one as I had to split it up due to how long it was! Also, I'm still doing the dedicating chapters to every new commentor thing! Also also, has anyone noticed that the covers are slightly changed? :)

Chapter 10

"You want to go to Connecticut?" Courtney asks, eyebrow raised.

I shrug. "It's not far from New York City anyway. I think my mom knows where the council is, or knows something at least, and she's left answers back in my house."

"So you're going to find her?" she confirms.

"Oh no. They've already run, I'm sure," I say. "I don't actually know where they've gone."

Courtney looks skeptical, peering at the e-mail from Sebastian I had reopened. "How do you know this from one sentence?"

"It's the context."

I look up to see the others looking undecided. Shifting, I stretch out my leg that has fallen asleep. We have gathered ourselves on the floor in the corner of a waiting lounge. I don't see why we couldn't just have sat on some chairs, but according to Sasha this is better for "blending in". Really, I think we look more suspicious.

After Jesse had explained his brief disappearance (and then we muttered something about malfunctioning machines when they asked what took us so long to get back), the excitement had died down and we quickly figured out we had to decide on what to do next or wander around clueless.

And I decided there needed to be a change in plans.

"I mean," I say, "we don't even know how to find the safe house in New York anyway. I have an exact direction of where I'm going in Connecticut. I live in Stamford: that's extremely close to the border of the state anyway. It won't take more than a day."

Looks are exchanged. Timing is calculated.

"Okay," Sasha finally sighs. "I suppose it won't hurt."

"When does the flight to anywhere in Connecticut leave?" Eric asks.

Vee glances towards the giant boards displaying departure times. "I'll go check." She picks herself up, grunting, and we watch her limp off.

"Does Vee have an ankle injury?" I ask, curious.

Courtney furrows her eyebrows, as if this is the first she's seen of the limp. "I don't know," she says, frowning.

Vee scans the boards for a long while, then she wanders off to find an information desk.

"What's she doing?" Sasha asks

"There probably aren't any one-stop flights," I answer.

Vee returns, mouthing words to herself as if she is figuring something out. "We need to transfer in Cleveland, Ohio," she tells us. "Once we land, there's about twenty minutes before the closest flight to Connecticut takes off."

"We can make that," Courtney says flippantly. "No problem."

"When does the flight to Cleveland leave then?" Sasha asks.

"Two hours," Vee answers.

That's more than enough time. I get up, and my mouth waters from the smell of fried junk food coming from a nearby McDonald's. Sighing, I chide myself, There's time, but no time for that.

"Alright," I say. I run a hand through my hair, figuring that it could be in better condition. "I'm going to the bathroom."

"Maybe I should come with you," Sasha says, standing. "We wouldn't want a repeat like last time."