Chapter 10

Casmiere and Victoria stood by the door of her room, holding each other, for what may have been the last time.

“I don’t want you to go,” Victoria said, staring into Casmiere’s eyes.

“I don’t have a choice,” he said, gently stroking his thumb against the soft flesh of her cheek.

“Why do you feel like you have to do this?” Victoria demanded, almost in tears. “I’ve heard storied of the Venebrosi, Cas, and from what I hear, he’s the most powerful sorcerer to ever live.”

He dropped his eyes to the ground. “It’s complicated,” he said weakly. “Can’t you just trust me?”

“I do trust you, I just don’t understand,” she explained.

He sighed and looked her in the eyes. “What exactly have you heard about the Venebrosi?” he asked her.

“He’s some evil, all-powerful sorcerer, who wants to summon the thing that brings the apocalypse and destroy the world,” she replied.

“Actually, he doesn’t want to destroy the world, he wants to rule it,” he corrected. “And you missed out the most important part.”

She knitted her eyebrows together. “And what’s that?”

“He’s said to be a Tesheeran,” he answered, slowly, and Victoria’s eyes widened.

“I thought you were the last Tesheeran,” Victoria said after a few moments of heavy silence.

“That’s why I need to go,” he stated. “I need to know.”

Victoria dropped her eyes and slowly nodded. “So there’s no stopping you, is there?” she asked, though is more of a statement.

“There’s not,” he confirmed.

“Please don’t die,” she whispered, still staring at the ground. “I don’t know what I’ll do without you.”

He lifted her face with his finger, bringing her eyes to his own. He brushed the tear that crawled down her cheek with his thumb before giving her a deep kiss.

“I love you,” he whispered as they pulled away.

“I love you, too,” she replied, staring into his eyes. With that, he turned around and exited, leaving Victoria to collapse on her bed.

Casmiere barely said a word during the entire mission debriefing and the ride to wherever it was the Venebrosi was held up.

“Are you okay?” Patrick asked him as the large truck bounced as it moved over the rocks and potholes of the long dirt road.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Casmiere replied halfheartedly.

“Are you sure?” Patrick replied. “Because you don’t seem like it.”

Casmiere sighed and wiped his face with his hand. “We have more important matters than my stress,” he replied.

Patrick slowly nodded. “Fair enough,” he agreed, and made a mental note to speak to him later.

“So, what exactly do we know about this guy?” Xero demanded, not wanting to fight blind.

“He’s a powerful wizard,” Patrick replied. “There’s not much else known about him, if, of course, he is the Venebrosi.”

“So, we don’t know what he’s capable of?” he demanded, raising an eyebrow, and looking between the two.

“He’s capable of anything within the limits of his dark powers,” Casmiere replied.