Chapter 9

Victoria stared at the sandwich in her hands, contemplating her choice of breakfast. She craved the BLT when she had ordered it, but her stomach seemed to have changed it's mind, as it was now telling her otherwise.

“You okay?” Casmiere asked, wrapping an arm around her. "You don’t look so hot.” Because they didn’t get a chance to spend too much time alone together on her birthday, the two had convinced Patrick to let them go out for a special breakfast, today.

“I don’t know,” Victoria said, dropping the sandwich on her plate. “I’m just really confused.” She rested her head in her hands. “My head hearts, my limbs ache, and I feel like I’m gonna vomit.”

He lifted an eyebrow at her. “Are you okay?” he asked.

“I think so.”

“Have you been drinking enough blood?” he suggested.

She shrugged. “Yeah, I’ve been drinking plenty. But, I don’t know it just seems like…” she let her voice trail off.

“It’s like what?” he asked, raising an eyebrow of concern.

She sighed. “I kinda think I’ve been craving more,” she finished slowly. “It feels like what I had this morning was drained almost instantly.”

Casmiere shrugged. “Take some of mine,” he offered.

She lifted an eyebrow at him. “Some of yours?” she repeated.

He shrugged again. “Yeah, why not?”

She smiled and leaned her head against his shoulder. “Thanks, that’s really sweet, but I can’t do that to you.”

“Do what?” he demanded.

“Feed off of you,” she replied.

“Why not? I’m offering, you know.”

She chuckled. “Yeah, I know, it’s hard to explain. Can’t you just trust me?”

He kissed her on the cheek. “Of course I will,” he replied.

“Is there anything else I can get you?” their waitress asked, stopping next to the table.

“The check, please,” Casmiere responded with a smile.

“Certainly,” she replied and turned back around.

“Are you sure you’re not gonna finish that sandwich?” he asked her, and she only nodded.

The two arrived home to a loud commotion in the foyer. Arriving in the middle of it, Casmiere and Victoria were only able to catch a small fraction of the argument. It seemed as though one of Patrick’s strike teams had made a mistake with the retrieval of some high-end sorcerer or what-not. The yelling stopped just as the two entered.

“What’s going on, dad?” Victoria asked, raising an eyebrow at the scene.

“Nothing, Victoria,” he replied, his tone slightly harsher than he intended. “You need to go to your room, and stay there until I come and get you, okay?”

Victoria nodded, understanding the seriousness in her father’s words.

Patrick turned to Casmiere. “I need you to come with me,” he ordered, turned around, and started down the hall. Hesitantly, Casmiere ran to catch up to him.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, as he fell into step beside him.

“Have you heard of the Venebrosi?” Patrick asked, not slowing his pace.

Casmiere knitted his eyebrows together. “I heard of him, yeah,” he responded. “Why?”

“Because last night, I was given pointers that a dark clan of powerful vampire mystics was forming not too far from here, and last night, I sent a tactical strike team to retrieve their leader. The only thing is, they weren’t vampires. They were beings I’ve never even seen before, and far more powerful than anything I’ve ever faced. They’re led by a sorcerer with more power than I’ve ever had the liberty of meeting, myself.”