Chapter 5

Yes, I know it's a bit early, but I couldn't resist updating. Mostly because this is my fave of my books, and I wanted to see what you guys think. So please comment, and tell me your thoughts. Thanks =)

**********************************************************************************************************

Casmiere found himself unable to return to sleep again, that night, so, instead, he stayed up and watched Victoria as she slept, not wanting to risk waking her with any movement. Her sleep was extremely peaceful, except for a few times when she mumbled and sneezed. The sneezes were high-pitched, and sounded somewhat like ‘Pikachu’ from the cartoon, ‘Pokémon’, and he couldn’t help but chuckle.

It wasn’t until the sun was just barely peeking through the trees at an odd angle, having just come up, that she began to stir in his arms. Her eyes slowly opened and she raised an eyebrow at the hard surface under her head. She slowly opened her eyes to see a black button-up shirt over a hard, muscular chest. She lifted her eyes to find herself staring into Casmiere’s rugged face, his medium-length, dirty blond hair thrown around, littered with leaves and small twigs. The unintended decorations caused a smile to form across her thin lips, bringing even more beauty to her face. Something Casmiere was sure, until now, was impossible.

“Good morning,” he greeted, a smile across his own face.

Her smile slowly faded, and she bolted up, to a sitting position, looking around her, franticly. “Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god,” she repeated, clearly panicked.

“What’s wrong?” Casmiere asked, worried.

She nervously ran her fingers through her hair. “I can’t believe I let myself fall asleep,” she muttered, pacing back and forth. “Everybody’s probably worried sick.” She dropped to the ground, and leaned her back against a tree, placing her head in her hands.

Casmiere moved to sit next to her. “What are they going to say about it?” he said, trying to cheer her up. “You’re the princess, remember?”

She chuckled softly. It was true, but she still felt bad about making them all worry about her.

“Hey, cheer up,” he said, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. “Being sad is bad for your soul.”

Another chuckle escaped her lips, and she even managed a hint of a smile. “Thank you,” she said, looking into his eyes. “I better get back.” She looked around her. “If I remember the way, that is.”

“I’ll walk you there,” he suggested. “After all, not only do I remember the way, but I’m also the reason you fell asleep.”

Victoria smiled at him. “No you weren’t, it was my fault. I let myself fall asleep,” she assured him. “It has nothing to do with you.”

“Well, I think I should walk you, anyway,” he insisted.

“I’d like that,” she agreed.

He stood, and held his hand out for her, helping her from the ground as she accepted it. Instead of releasing her hand once she was on her own two feet, he laced his fingers through hers, and moved into step beside her. A blush spread across her face as they walked in silence.

“Thank you, by the way,” she said after a long moment of silence. “I don’t think I’d be able to face them alone.”

“It’s no problem,” he assured her. “And why not, it’s not like they can punish you, or anything.”

She shrugged. “I know, but I don’t like disappointing people. And the angry stares I’ll probably get will me make feel terrible.”

He smiled at her. “Well, you don’t need to worry. I’ll be with you every step of the way,” he promised.