Chapter 11: Darlene

(Picture is of Darlene in Middle Earth)
I smiled slightly at Aragorn,and saw Alyssa making a face. I rolled my eyes at her and she started to laughed. Legolas looked over.

"What is amusing?" I shook my head.

"Nothing. Just Eluryan being Eluryan." We all settled around a tree and Isla sat, seemingly spell bound. Sam looked over.

"What are they say'n?" Isla shook her head. Sam to Legolas. "Well, what are they say'n?" Legolas looked down.

"I have not the heart to tell you. The grief is still too near." The clearing grew silent and I realized they believed I didn't know what had happened to Gandalf. I pretended to look worried.

"Where is Gandalf? I did not see him when we reunited." Aragorn sat next to me and said gently,

"Legassa, he's dead. He fell protecting us from the Balrog." I buried my head in my hands. Aragorn put his arm around my shoulder, and beneath my hands and tears I flushed red. Isla sat on my other side. Sam looked up at the elves.

"I bet they don't have a verse about his fireworks. They burst in showers of gold green, finest rockets you've ever seen- oh, that doesn't do them justice by a long road." I smiled sadly. Frodo came over and sat at my feet.

"Can you tell us a story from your homeland?" He smiled and I felt sad. He wouldn't be this naive for long. I nodded. I took a deep breath.

"Once upon a time, there was a little village in a valley. This village was full of children, had much food, and was an all around nice place to live. However, the town was full of rats." Isla smiled.

"The Pied Piper. I like this one." I shook my head and continued the story. Afterwards, we lay down and prepared for bed. I sat against a tree, tears making small tracks down my cheeks. Aragorn sat beside me.

"You really miss him don't you?" I sighed.

"Yes, Aragorn. He was our guide. Our friend." Aragorn looked over.

"Well, he watches over us now." I turned so we were face to face. He cleared his throat.

"Legassa, in the Mines-" he stopped, looking nervous. Aragorn, son of Arathon, nervous?

"Yes?" Was he leaning closer? He was!

"I realized that-" Alyssa(who had thought was asleep) coughed loudly.

"Sorry." She flashed me a smirk that said, Yeah, not sorry. Isla motioned to me. We went off, and I saw her looking pale. She sighed.

"Darlene, if he falls in love with you, what if the story changes? What if Frodo doesn't throw the Ring into Mt. Doom?" I bit my lip.

"I know Frodo will do it, because he has something to fight for."