59. The One You Love

“Everybody loves a hero. People line up for them, cheer them, scream their names. And years later, they'll tell how they stood in the rain for hours just to get a glimpse of the one who taught them how to hold on a second longer. I believe there's a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams.”

- May Parker, Spiderman (but you all knew that, didn't you?)

________________________________________

“Are you ready?”

Hermione and Ron glanced at one another, nodded once, then looked back at Harry. Standing from their crouching position, they pulled out their wands.

The three were hiding behind the statue that obscured the front door, the Aurors still at the front gate keeping well hidden and surveying the area. The only threats they’d found so far were the two Death Eaters guarding the door. Greengrass must have thought no one would figure out where he was, or go through the trouble of finding an old manor in the middle of nowhere, hence the reason his enchantments were so few and why there were only two very bored men out front.

As she moved to get past the statue, Ron pulled her back. She turned her head slightly, annoyed. “What now?”

He stood in front of her. “Hermione, we’re going to be running. After everything you’ve been through do you really want to get yourself killed by tripping over a dress?”

Somehow, she had forgotten she was still wearing her ball gown. But now that she was aware, she was also aware how hot it was, the fabric clinging to her with sweat and her hair, no longer in soft curls, frizzy, even more so from the humidity.

She hesitated for only a second, the need to keep moving motivating her to aim her wand down at the hem of her dress. “Diffindo,” she muttered, rotating her wand all the way around herself, the light red fabric falling to the ground as she went. When she was finished, the dress was knee length, and Ron looked bothered as she tossed the leftover material to Harry, still crouched on the ground.

“How much was that?” Ron asked, strained.

“Don’t worry. It’s nothing Reparo can’t fix,” she lied. The truth was she did not like ruining such a beautiful dress either, but after tonight, and what she was likely to see, Hermione had the feeling she would not want to wear it again. She met his eyes. Her grip on her wand tensed. Relaxed. Tensed. “Lets go.”  

She took the left side of the statue while Ron took the right, walking up to the double doors with a confident stride. If the Death Eaters had been looking for trespassers they might have had the time to defend themselves or yell out. But they were not looking, and when they finally did spot them it was too late.

Without stopping, Ron and Hermione pointed their wands at one each and yelled, “Stupefy!” The two men fell backwards, slumping unconscious against the door.

They stopped only to check that the men were really out, and then Hermione called out that it was safe. Harry came out from the statue, waving behind him for the Aurors to follow.

“Now we go in?” he questioned, gaze flickering over to the two bodies beside them.

“Now we go in,” Hermione confirmed.

“What if they’re waiting for us?” Ron asked.

“They won’t be. It’s obvious they’re not expecting company tonight.” She locked eyes with Harry and Ron, turned, hand wrapped around the door handle, and pulled.