3. Roomies

“You’re going to be… what?” Blaise demanded, sitting upright.

“Working for Granger and her elves,” Draco mumbled depressingly.

“Come off it,” he scoffed.

“Blaise, I’m serious. Why would I even joke about this?”

“Because it’s insane! There’s no way you’d willingly do that!”

“Believe me, it’s not willingly. Any idea how to make murder seem like an accident?” he questioned hopefully.

Blaise grinned. “You could always say the elves formed some kind of cult and killed her…” He paused, and said, “Then again, now that I think about it they might kill themselves in the process of choking on all that hair… But,” his smile turned serious as he shifted around in his seat, reaching for another ham sandwich, “I’m still having trouble seeing how you agreed to this. I mean, they’re probably the two things you hate most in the world, house elves and Granger, and there are a lot of things you hate, mate.”

“Not true,” he disagreed, watching him chew hungrily into the sandwich. “I hate Potter more than her, but she is definitely near the top of my most hated list.”

“Exactly,” he said, swallowing his food. “So why did you agree?”

“Well… wouldn’t you if your family was in the state mine is? It’s horrible Blaise; I’m the one who’s supposed to do the snickering and humiliating, not everyone else. The other day I was actually snarled at by that Justin Finch-Fletchley bloke for Merlin’s sake, and he’s a Mudblood! A Mudblood was acting as though he were above me! Can you image the atrocity?”

Blaise let out a low whistle. “Why didn’t you just hex the little bugger?”

“I wanted to!” he exclaimed. “But that would only give the Daily Prophet more dirt on my family. I can imagine the headline now:” Draco put on a deep announcement voice, “‘Youngest Malfoy, Just How Dangerous is He to You and Your Family?’”

Blaise sighed, shoving the last bit of his sandwich into his mouth. “So how long ya gotta work for ‘er?” he munched.

He shuddered. “Twelve months.”

He swallowed again. “Yeah, see, just what I thought. Twelve’s not long – wait, hang on. A year? You failed to mention that.”

“Not something I want to be reminded of.” He leaned back against the sofa, picked up a pillow, and covered his face with it.

“I don’t think smothering yourself is the answer,” Blaise said, amused.

“I fink itis,” his voice muffled.

“I disagree. What’s Ophelia like anyway? She really worth all this?”

“Waff I’m dozzen ifent or ‘er.”

“Take the pillow out, then talk,” advised Blaise.

With an agitated groan, Draco slid the silky pink pillow from his face, letting it rest on his lap. “I said, what I’m doing isn’t for her. I don’t care about who I marry, I just want my respect back and she’s the answer.”

He raised a dark eyebrow. “You realise you’ll be stuck with her for life?”

Draco furrowed his brows in thought. “Well… not necessarily.”

“Yes, you will. If people hear about you sneaking around her back –”

“I could just pay to keep everything quiet.”