37. An Elf's Smile

Happy very very late birthday to Tedfy1359 :) I'm sorry this chapter took so long. 

________________________________________       

The details of precisely how Hermione had gotten both herself and Draco into this situation were hazy, only that they had been discussing something she could not remember over coffee in her office, and in a whirl of textbooks was Mr. Jennings plunging through the door. In the blink of an eye he had shifted the books to his left side and was grabbing Draco’s arm, pen at the ready as he scrawled hastily across his palm.

“I need you both to take care of that for me,” he explained quickly. “Everyone else in the building is busy and I’m already running late for my conference.”

And before either Draco or Hermione could question him further, he’d disappeared out the door.

So now, both were following the smudged address on Draco’s hand, which had so far led them up a street with many trees along the road and houses that all looked somewhat similar.

“Why does he want us to go together?” Draco asked irritably, holding his palm up in front of his face and frowning as they walked along the path.

“Usually when the task is too much for one I usually send that worker with an accomplice.”

“So, what, we’re going to be facing a killer house-elf?” He paused in thought. “Can that actually happen?”

“I expect if the elf is treated bad enough, it’s possible.” She grabbed his hand to get a better look at the house number. “Is that an eight or a three?”

He came to a stop beside her and leaned in. “I was just wondering that myself.”

Together, they glanced up the street, looking from house eight to house three and down at Draco’s palm again.

“Lets try the nearest,” Hermione reasoned.

Draco nodded and they headed up for number eight; approaching slowly up the lawn, should they hear any indication that they were at the right place.

Hermione had just raised her hand to knock on the pleasantly green door when there was a groan of pleasure from inside.

“Oh Merlin! You’re so much better at this than my cousin!”

Her mouth fell open and she locked eyes with Draco, who, ridiculously, looked like he was going to laugh. She was about to ask precisely what about this was so amusing to him, when slowly he grabbed her arm and tugged her back and away from the now sinfully green door.

“I don’t think that was the right house, do you?” Draco asked when they were walking on the other side of the street. “Hello?” he said when she didn’t respond. “Has all that hair finally affected with your hearing?” He made to get a piece of hair and lift it away from her ear, but she went out of his reach.

“You’ve got a weird sense of humour, you know that?”

He smirked. “As opposed to having no sense of humour.”

“I’ve got a sense of humour!” Hermione said indignantly, ignoring the snort he gave. “There’s a lot I find funny.”

“Like pick-up lines?”

She sighed exasperatedly. “Are you ever going to let that go? It was days ago.”

“Seeing as that was the weirdest thing I have ever witnessed another human being doing and putting into consideration that it was you of all people, no. I’m not. I’ll be telling my children and their children and their children’s children and –”