Chapter 28: The Resistance

Upon waking, I burrow myself into the warm, soft sheets. I rub the remainders of sleep from my eyes and gaze out at the horizon; its vivid light extends across a rosy sky but even with all that beauty, my stomach does backflips. Today is the day.

"Get up, you're gonna be late" I lightly slap him on the face. He groans and shifts but doesn't completely wake so I repeatedly hit him until he gets fed up enough that he rolls out of bed.

"Thanks for being the world's most annoying alarm clock" he looks at the clock that sits at 12 pm.

I watch him get dressed like I usually do but this time it's different. If Nate succeeds then it's lights out for him. He'll be gone, that's a hard pill to swallow. As much as I hate him, it's weird. I can't say I'm without my reservations.

When he leaves out the door I take a moment to listen to the sound of his footsteps slowly fading away into the distance. It's the last time I'll ever see him, that's what I've been waiting for I guess. Ever since I became his wife I knew in the back of my head that I may develop feelings for him but that doesn't change anything. Nate is my real husband and he truly loves me. Negan has been able to get in my head and get my feelings all confused.

I ponder my next move, while I play with Dixie. It takes me some time to get a move on things but eventually I get dressed and ready to deal with whatever comes of this plan.

I don't have a clear timeline of when the assassination will happen but it can't be long from now. The Sanctuary is going to be in a panic and accusations of guilt will be thrown around. Nate is taking a huge risk, what if people aren't accepting of new leadership? The future is unpredictable.
____________________________________
Negan

A sudden gush of pain jolts throughout my body ruthlessly, "Fuck!" I scream in agonizing pain, clenching at the bullet hole in my side.

Jared, one of my very own soldiers betrayed me. One moment we were sitting there discussing our defense team, next thing I know he's raising a gun to me and Nate comes barging in with the help of a lynch mob of his own.

"You motherfucker couldn't go against me one on one?" I berate the ass-wipe that looks at me smugly.

"All you're people are dead, it's over", Nate stands in front of me calmly while the rest of the treacherous brigade puts bullets through the heads of the faithful saviors in the room to prevent them from turning to walkers. The three of them were first shot at the same time I was.

I laugh loud through the intense pain to antagonize him. This prick has no idea what's he's got himself into, "you really think you've won this. Don't you?"

"Shut the hell up" Nate kicks the chair from underneath me. My body hits the ground and I let out another scream.

"You fucked up when you took Carmen. I was willing to go along with so much before then" he taunts from above then kicks me.

I try my best to stifle my moans but a small whimper escapes, the wound bleeds faster as adrenaline pumps through my veins. I look around and I'm surrounded. I would have to be the luckiest man in the world to get out of this alive.

I have to give it to him, he has balls. I should've never let him out of that cell, Carmen is a sneaky little bitch. I bet she had a hand in all of this. I did my best to please her but that was the biggest mistake I ever made. 

"Any last words?" Nate presses the AR-15 against my temple, the cold metal contrast against the heat from my sweat.

I swallow a large gulp of spit. I won't give him the satisfaction. Death isn't something I ever feared, it was bound to happen sometime. I close my eyes and breathe my last breath of air.

The air is suddenly rent by the sound of breaking glass and gunshots. My eyes open, surprisingly I'm alive. The bullets raining down aren't aimed at me.

Bodies drop one by one, the killing is so swift that no one has any time to react. The fierce group of assassins has been reduced to nothing. The scene is absolutely diabolical. The once gray walls are ruined by the gore of the red flowing blood and the smell of death fills the air.

It was a sniper, a man that's one hell of a shot. It doesn't take me long to figure out how the onslaught was orchestrated. He aimed through the small window that exposes the interior of the room to the outside world. Normally it would be covered for privacy's sake but today it wasn't.

I reckon the dumb-shit Nate didn't actually kill all of my people like he said he did. He missed the most threatening one.

"Shit! Shit! Shit!" Nate paces around the room but keeps the gun pointed at me. He's frantic and breaking down.

"So this was the master plan?" I try to get under his skin. If I can make him completely lose his composure, he'll get sloppy.

"I should blast your head off right fucking now! I don't give a fuck who you have out there. They can't get to you fast enough to stop this bullet!" His voice cracks when he screams at me and his eyes fill with tears.

I watch in stillness as each minute goes by. The sight brings me pure joy, to see a man disintegrate before my eyes is glorious. We're both waiting for the same thing. The moment when the door will be kicked down and he will have to face the consequences. He knows he can't kill me now, he's not going to do jack shit anymore. I'm his only chance of mercy. If he kills me, they'll kill him.