Chapter 24: Inevitable

I reluctantly step into the room with absolute despair plastered on my face. Negan notices me and walks up slowly, he pulls me close to him wrapping his arms around me. His embrace is warm, and his big, strong arms are protective around my frail body. The world around me melts away and all I can do is imagine it's Nate touching me.

The pep talk Opie gave me has made it a little easier to cope but I still feel a dark cloud floating above my head.

"I'm here for you whenever you need me" he kisses my forehead softly. I rest my head on his shoulder and breathe in the scent of his fragrance. The slight hint of vanilla reminds me of how much fun Jackie and I had making homemade ice cream in the kitchen downstairs.

I brake free from his grasp with an exhausted sigh, "I'm tired", I say as I stumble towards the bed. I'm more emotionally worn than anything. It's only mid-morning but I mentally feel like I've been awake for far too many hours. Grief is a hard battle to fight.

The rest of the day I spend laying in bed walking the line of asleep and awake. Negan brought lunch up to our room but I didn't eat any of it. My appetite is nonexistent but I did appreciate the effort. He kept checking up on me all through the day but he also gave me my space. I wanted to be alone and just have time to think.

____________________________________
The next morning things are still melancholy but at least now I feel well enough for the breakfast that Negan brought me. Its nothing special, just eggs and toast but I'm starving from yesterday.

"I got to get back to business. Hilltop is calling daddy's name right now" Negan says searching through his wardrobe for clothing.

He's going back to work already? It's weird to think everything can ever be normal now that Jackie is gone. I think this to myself but I keep quiet and finish eating the rest of my food.

He pulls out his leather jacket and puts it on his back
"I'm taking Simon with me so you don't have to worry about him, all you need to focus on is feeling better"

I inwardly rejoice, nothing would've been worse than for me to have to avoid him the entire time that Negan is gone. "Good. I couldn't promise what might happen if I ever got him alone".

He glances at me like a parent on the verge of punishing their child, "Yep that is exactly what I'm preventing. I already got too much shit to get straight around here".

A small smirk comes over me, I was partially joking but not completely.

"It's an overnight trip, you won't have to miss me too long" he swings Lucille over his back.

A night to myself is appealing, I won't miss him one bit, "It's fine. I could use the break".

He smiles at me before bidding farewell, "See ya sunshine"
____________________________________
Negan

In the haze of the afternoon, I can feel my loose shirt start to cling to my back. The blazing relentless sun is so serious that even the birds are silent and the grass stands still as if too hot to move.

"Goddamn, it's hotter than satan's balls out here!" I wipe the dripping sweat from my brow.

"No fucking lie there" Simon retorts as we work on loading the trucks with the boxes of supplies we collected from Hilltop

It's a rarity for me to be doing the dirty work but I want to get this done as quickly as possible. There's a lot on the agenda for today.

"While I have the opportunity, I wanted to talk to you about something Simon." I stop what I'm doing momentarily to speak with him man to man.