Chapter 26: Surprise

Carmen
"Aww, it's so cute!" I squeal the moment I see Dwight holding the small fluffy four-legged creature. The docile golden puppy stares back at me with big eyes.

I grew up around dogs my whole life but they're rarities nowadays especially pure breeds. Dwight hands him over to me and all I want to do is kiss its adorable little face.

"He reminded me of you when I saw him," Negan says with the biggest smile like he's proud that he was able to make me happy.

"Where did you find him at?" I ask while I scratch my new puppy behind its ears.

He drapes his arms around my waist and pulls me close."We were driving down the road and there he was all alone. I thought I might as well bring him back"

"that's sweet of you" I gratefully thank him. I have to give him credit, this is the best present I ever could've wanted.

"oh look who's developing a warm spot for me", I feel his fingers trace up and down my back. I shoot him a flirty stare but quickly change the subject before he can come onto me too hard.

"I'm going to name him Dixie, it matches him doesn't it?" I hold the puppy up to his face so he can get a better look.

"Sure, I see that for him but you better not give him all your attention and forget about little old me" he twiddles his thumbs.

I laugh in my head, "I won't, I pinky swear", I reassure him with gushing sarcasm. Dixie is definitely taking Negan's place.

My new furry friend playfully wags his tail and licks my face. He's the friendly type. I put him on the ground to rub his tummy but suddenly loud gunshots ring out causing him to jump back into my arms.

"Rick...that shit-faced never learns!" Negan shouts frustratedly and pushes me behind him protectively.

Me and Dixie both panic, the Sanctuary is under attack although our side doesn't hesitate to fight back. Negan has protocols for the chance that something like this might happen.

"Simon get her somewhere safe now!" he commands, jumping right into war-mode.

"Got it Boss", Simon hustles over to me and escorts me away from the fight.

"Who are those people?" I as through my shortness of breath as we rush through the hallways. It's a frightening situation for the community right now. Everyone's losing their minds and scattering to find a safe place.

"Alexandria. They must've been following us" he tells me with some worry in his voice. It takes me aback. I never really seen him this way.

"In here" he pulls me into a modest room on the third floor. Nothing about it is familiar. Even the general layout is different from anything I've seen anywhere else in the Sanctuary.

I look around, still holding Dixie in my arms. There isn't much to see other than the essentials like a bed and desk. The uniqueness is in its construction. The walls and door look reinforced like it's made to stop bullets.

Weapons continue to blast and chaos reigns but When I turn back around, Simon is still standing by the door watching me as if he doesn't have anything better he could be doing right now, "What? Are you not gonna go help them?"

"I need to talk to you first" he demands but it's non-intimidating. I'm far more afraid of the literal war that is going on outside.

I put the puppy on the bed so I can deal with Simon,
"Really, this isn't the time, Go!" I try to push him out but he doesn't budge.

"You know I didn't have anything to do with Jackie's suicide, right?"

The mention of Jackie hushes me for a moment. I catch my breath and calm my thoughts. This isn't the time to get emotional about this all over again.

"Sure, whatever. We're never going to be friends so you should just drop it." I brush him off to avoid saying anything worse. I still feel the way I feel about him but I'm not gonna push the issue.

He rolls his eyes and rubs his mustache, "At least give me a chance to explain somethings" he softens his tone a bit.

I roll my eyes but still give into him, "go ahead, say what you need to say"

He looks relieved that I'm willing to listen, "Before Jackie died she told me what's been going on between you and Nate. We both know that Negan would be livid if he ever found out".

I nod my head at everything he's saying but on the inside, I'm wondering why she would tell him this. She knew that it was secret.

"I would hate for anything to happen to you because of all this. The same way I would hate for anything to happen to me over Jackie's death"

I can't believe he's threatening me, I shouldn't have put it past him. He is Negan's right-hand man and was here before I ever was. He could influence Negan more than I could, "If you're implying that I'm going to turn Negan against you, you don't have to worry about that. He doesn't listen to me anyhow" I reply to his sly comment with sass.

His eyes focus on me like lasers and he laughs condescendingly, "I know you talk about me to him Carmen. Don't play stupid".

"You're right I do tell him all the awful things you did but as I said, he doesn't listen to me"

He grins at me annoyingly like he's won, "My point is, I want to get passed this. You go about your life and I go about mine. We can't change the past, that's done and over but I say we focus on being cordial because we have to see each other everyday"

This side of Simon is good on the surface but I would be an idiot to completely let my guard down. As much as I want to live in peace I can't forget, "Fine, but to make it crystal clear, I will never forgive you for how you treated Jackie."

"I'm not asking you too, I'm just saying let's ignore each other's existence before anything is said that can't be taken back"

Ignoring him for the rest of my life sounds great, "That's alright with me" I agree to his terms without much second thought.

"Good, I need to go now. Duty calls" he pulls out his pistol before running back to the scene that's been unfolding.

"Don't worry pup. We're gonna be okay, I'll keep you safe" I lift him into my arms and kiss him on his head. He's all I have right now. The place I come to call home is under attack, but I'm helpless to do anything. All I can hope for is a quick ending to this conflict.