Chapter 2: Diplomatic

"Oh, what do we have here!" the melted side of his face makes me cringe, we share a brief moment before Nate speaks up, "I can-", the man cuts him off "looks like you've been lying to us" he turns back and reaches into his holster pulling out a pistol. The cold steel collides with Nate's jaw causing a few of his teeth to go flying into the air. I crawl out of the tent, watching in horror as the group of men begin beating my husband. "Stop, please it was my fault, I told him to do it" I interject myself, begging at the man's feet. His eyes leave the assault to examine the scared and broken girl on her knees before him.

"Aww, lighten up, buttercup! Once this loser is out the picture, I'll show you what it's like to be with a real man" my skin crawls from the perverted look he gives me, but I shake it off and try to reason with him, "I'll do anything" my voice softens almost to a whisper "please". He searches my eyes then lifts his arm motioning for his men to back off, "Okay, quit it, you've had your fun" he chuckles, as Nate lies panting on the ground, blood gushing from his nose and mouth. I run over to him cradling his head in my hands, "are you alright, baby?" I cry, already knowing the answer. He moans in response. I whisper to him, "I love you" my tears dripping onto his chest.

"Enough of that lovey-dovey shit!" the man tugs on my arm pulling me to my feet. I struggle against his grasp until he grabs my shoulders shaking me back to my senses. "We had a deal" he growls inches from my face. I nod acknowledging our agreement "you're coming back with me" his voice becomes gentle as he moves a strand of my long brown hair out of my face. "No" Nate groans slowly dragging his body towards us. The man grins looking at him and then back to me, "you want him to come too?"

"Yes, please" my eyes finally stop watering.

"Throw him in the back!" his men obey shoving him away. "Your ridin' with me, Hun" he ignores my obvious hesitation, walking me over to a rusty old truck then sits me down on the passenger side before going to the driver's seat.

On our journey, we were mostly silent aside from the occasional question. "So what's your name?" I push myself against the door, trying to create distance, "Carmen" I reply my voice shaky and insecure. "Nice to meet you, Carmen, I'm Dwight" he lifts one hand off the steering wheel and extends it to me, I look at it contemplating, but ultimately decide to engage in the handshake. He releases my hand and gives me a twisted smile, "your more diplomatic than I thought you'd be" I turn from him, looking out the window as each tree passes, wondering where he was taking us.
____________

As the car engine sang to the long abandon roads my suspicion grew more prominent as we arrive at our destination, "Welcome to hell!" he celebrates as he puts the vehicle in park. "Now when we get in there, you're gonna behave, right?" I glare at him, no words coming out of my mouth. He grabs my chin, squishing my face between his fingers, "Right?" I roll my eyes, "yeah" he lets go and gets out the truck, I follow suit.

"Where are they taking him?" I ask, seeing two men escort Nate into the industrial styled building, "He's been naughty, so he's gonna have to spend some time in a cell" I gasp in disbelief "is this like a prison or something?". He chuckles "I guess if that's what you want to call it" he reaches an arm around my back, pushing me in the direction of the entrance.

I look around taking in the strange surroundings as he walks me up a flight of stairs and then down a lifeless hallway. "Time to meet the man!" he says before stopping and knocking on the black embellished door.