Chapter 1: Heaven to Hell

A chilling breeze blows over our shivering bodies as Nate adds more wood to the pile. He pokes it with a stick, but it seems to die a little as if it's unsure of itself. The flames lick at the log like a nervous kitten, sending sparks into the air. After a while it grows into a steady campfire, "this should last through the night" Nate sighs.

The tension is high.

I should lead with love instead of anger, but it's not that easy in our predicament. "You sure know how to mess a good thing up, don't ya" I challenge his optimism.

He kicks over his can of beans, "How many fucking times do I have to say sorry?"

"Sorry isn't gonna cut it, we don't have a home anymore! That's like covering a bullet hole with a band-aid and expecting it to be alright" I shout with tear-soaked cheeks.

He walks over and places his cold hand on my thigh, "I fucked everything up, I know, I always do but hear me out" his fingers cup my face, moving a piece of hair out the way.

"I promise, we'll be fine, I'll find us somewhere else to stay".

I nod, letting him know I'm listening. "But who is going to trust us? People in the apocalypse aren't exactly welcoming".

"I'll figure it out baby, just give me a chance" he plants a gentle kiss on my forehead, pulling me into an embrace.

The night brought a silence, the crackle of the campfire danced in the atmosphere, like a comforting lullaby. The flames continued to heat the area as we slept through the night in our tiny makeshift tent.

As soon as the vibrant sun rays begin to warm the earth, the sounds of tires startle us awake. "Stay here" Nate whispers before leaping out of the tent. I stay curled up in the rear, feeling the fear and guilt of leaving him to confront the invading strangers. My breathing is ragged and harsh as my arms wrap around my knees. I listen closely as a strange voice seems to be getting closer.

"So, it's just you, right?" the ruffling of the leaves beneath his feet creeps near.

"Yeah, been alone since the beginning"

I couldn't make out the number of people in the man's entourage but by the sounds of movement, there has to be at least a few. My body trembles as the footsteps stop directly in front of the tent. I jam my fist into my mouth to stifle my screams.

"Then there shouldn't be any problem with me having a look" the man is unconvinced.

I hyperventilate, nearly fainting from the heart beating out of my chest.

"Um, well, i-i" Nate stutters trying to think of an excuse but he's pushed out of the way.

The bright sunlight shines in my eyes as the flimsy cloth at the entrance lifts, "oh, what do we have here!" an unfamiliar man smiles down at me.