Chapter 23

[Celeste]

"Mom." I grasped her wrist and removed her hand from touching Greyson's soft black pelt, which was soiled by dried patches of blood. It looked like I was seething, the way I barked at her like a possessive brat over a stuffed toy. "He's hurt, I don't think it's a good idea to touch him."

Never in my life had I ever yelled at my mom that way and she was completely taken back. I turned my attention back to Greyson, caressing his head hoping somehow that would give him comfort.

Greyson you prick...

Greyson you fool...

Greyson. Stop being so nice to me, because I think I'm falling for you.

My vision blurred and my throat tightened at my silent confession. Greyson deserved to hear it. I owe him that much for saving my life, but now was not the time. I wasn't going to tell him when pain was obstructing his thoughts. He was going to pull through this and when he does, I'll tell him I like him.

As he lay struggling against life and death, I held him and recalled the way he selflessly shielded me from the bullet that would have killed me instantly. For a brief moment, at the stream, our eyes connected and I saw the fear he felt. My wellbeing was much more important to him than his own. Only my heart could be heard pounding against my ears as the bullet went through him. His wolf was determined to protect me even though he was bleeding out.

And my heart trembled for him, because I felt useless.

Once again someone was suffering to protect me.

First it was my mom and now it is Greyson...

They both loved me beyond belief and would die for me. Mom is my mom; she has a reason for her actions. Greyson, however, he cared for me with some kind of paranormal love, I couldn't comprehend.

Now, there was no denying it or challenging his reasons, because—

My god, the man took a bullet for me!

It was like a part of me was not myself after that.

All I could think about was...Greyson. And all this these feelings transpired after that kiss in the stream. It felt like a part of me had opened up and the bullet was the catalyst that speed up my emotional responses.

Here he was bleeding and possibly dying and no one has yet to freak out, or cry over him. Not his father, not his mother, or his sister. I was increasingly going out of my mind. What was wrong with them? Didn't they care that Greyson was in pain?

If anyone touched him, I was going to attack everyone like a teenage boy guarding his X-box with his life.

Mom's movements were slow, but clutched her hands against her chest. "Shouldn't we take the poor thing to the hospital?" On cue Greyson whimpered.

Bennett shook his head. "Let's not make a spectacle over this and get him properly bandaged up." He motioned away from Greyson's bed. "Celeste, you stay where you are. It helps if you are near him."

My fists clenched. "I wanted to yell at him. Scream at him for being an uncaring father, but I bit my lips to keep my mouth shut.

"Why the hell are you not upset about this? He just got shot! Are you that heartless?"

Mom looked at me with concern. "Honey, I'm sure the poor puppy will be okay."

Laura now appeared distressed over her son, but she didn't hurl herself hysterically at Greyson's condition. Lexie brushed a stray tear that fell from her cheek so that no one noticed. The twins were probably not allowed to see their brother in this situation and someone was keeping them from knowing what was going on in this room.