Chapter 12 Mr. Monk and Toblerones

Then, a forensic hollered "Captain! We got a hotel card here!" "Finally, a glimpse of hope in the madness." Stottlemeyer said excitedly. "Looks like the card is from the Boulevard Hotel" Jack said.

   We went to the hotel and asked for Charlestone's room and an assistant manager to accompany us and provide vital info about Oliver. When we opened the door, Monk checked the fridge and called the AM (Assistant Manager) to take a look.

     "I don't see a problem, sir," the AM said. "There are 2 Toblerones in the fridge but one of everything else," Monk said. "Yes," the AM said.

   "That's the problem," Monk said. "I'm sure Mr. Charlestone has complained." "You're the first, sir," the AM said. "Oliver ate the last one before leaving. But while he was out the maid replaced it," Monk said, using his detecting skills." "She was replenishing the minibar," the AM said.

    "It's a corrupt system," Monk accused. "Because now there are 2 Toblerones again." "He could eat one." "Aha!" Monk exclaimed. "That's exactly what you'd like him to do, keep eating those extra bars at six dollars apiece."

  "Admit it, this is a clever scam by the management to force people into eating Toblerones at outrageously inflated prices." "No, sir."

  Monk lowered his voice. "Are you afraid of reprisals if you talk? Is that it? I'm a detective consulting with the police. I can get you witness protection. We can rip this wide open." "If there's nothing else, I'll refer your complaint to our manager, Denzel Gibson." The AM said.

   Monk narrowed his eyes. "Is he the mastermind behind the horrendous Toblerone plot?" "I don't know, sir." The AM turned to the door. "Don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of service."

  Monk stared at the AM as he left. "That's a man who lives in fear." Then, I said "Maybe Oliver stumbled on the insidious Toblerone plot and was killed to keep him quiet." I couldn't resist a snicker.

  "You're joking, but those six-dollar bars add up." Monk said.