Chapter 4

Swinging the door to my apartment open, I saw three bodies hanging haphazardly around the living area and ignored them the best I could while dragging my many bags into my room. Sitting on my large iron four poster bed I looked down at the bags that were scattered on the wide oak floorboards and surrounding my feet. Taking off my shoes and dropping them on the floor with a loud thump, I swung my feet up onto my fluffy gold and white comforter and grabbed my tv remote from my bedside table.

Turning it on, I flipped through some of my favourite channels before settling on a re-run episode on the American version of The Office. It was currently a commercial so I made the decision to change into a pair of mini shorts that stopped just at the tops of my thighs, not leaving much to the imagination, and a loose oversized sweater before climbing back onto my bed and pulling my wastepaper basket out before getting a bag and pulling things out to cut the tags off.

One by one I started stacking things up around me before finishing and laying back against all my pillows. After finishing the episode and finally getting all my new items put away in the proper places, I checked the clock.

11:27.

'Alright. They should have gone to bed by now.' My mind told me.

Opening my door and walking down the hall and around the corner, I peeked out and sighed a breath of relief as I saw no one out in the living area or the kitchen. The only sound was the television that was left on.

Padding softly over the cool wooden floors, I switched off the tv and turned on my iHome as I let it shuffle random quiet songs. Turning the volume down low so the music was barely echoing around, I walked over to the kitchen and shook my head as I saw three large empty pizza boxes. Closing the lids and stacking them, I opened the door and dropped them down the trash chute that was just across the hall before coming back in and locking the door behind me.

As I walked back in quietly, I saw a boy squatted down in front of my iHome scrolling through it. Taking in his appearance, I remembered this one was Michael, his hair gave him away. When he noticed me standing there he stood up and I could see that he was wearing an old band tee and some loose trackies.

"Sorry." He spoke quietly while coming over to me and stopping a few feet away. "I didn't realise you were out here and I heard The Neighbourhood playing."

His voice was a stark contrast from his looks considering how soft and smooth it sounded. I just nodded and walked over to the fridge as I looked through for something to snack on.

"So you like their music?" He asked a bit uncomfortably while taking a seat at the breakfast bar.

Nodding again, I closed the fridge and moved to look in the cupboard.

"I guess you could say that..." I said quietly while going all the way up on my toes to see what I had on the shelves.

Pulling a box of saltines from a shelf and closing the doors, I set it on the counter and filled a glass with water.