Thought Three. - Party Hardy.

Looking in the mirror, I add the final touch to my costume.

My necklace.

It’s a small gold chain, with a ‘Z’ symbol that has a diamond in the middle of it. I remember when my mother gave it to me for my sixteenth birthday. That was almost three years ago, my birthday is only a month away. Mother said that it serves as a charm of sorts; it will watch over and protect me from dangers.

Whatever that’s supposed to mean.

It had shocked me when she told me that too. It was not like mom to say things like that, at all. She is a very cynical person, and I would have never imagined the day where she would tell me that a necklace could protect me from danger

But, if I am to wear it for protection, tonight is the best night to do so. I’m about to go to a party, where I will probably be surrounded by a bunch of monsters.

AKA - drunk and horny boys.

I look myself over one last time, my eyes resting on the dress, and how it hugs my body in all of the right places. I smile to myself, and decide that it’s time to go downstairs and face the music.

Once I’m downstairs, I head into the living room where I see mother sitting on the couch talking to someone on the phone.  She hasn’t realized that I’m in the room with her yet, because she continues to speak to who ever it is in a rushed whisper.

“I just hope that we can keep going on like this, John.” She says, her voice exasperated. 

Oh, she’s talking to dad.

She pauses for a second, obviously listening to him on the other end.

“Yeah, so far everything has been fine. But the day is coming up… and I’m getting nervous thinking about what could happen. Aren’t you?”

Another minutes pause.

“Okay, I know. I won’t worry. I just hope that they haven’t got any leads… To imagine them finding us after all of these years…” I see her body involuntarily shiver, and I can’t help but wonder what they’re talking about.

She’s silent for a few minutes, and that’s when I decide to become known. I walk to the couch and wave at her to get her attention. She looks up at me in surprise for a minute, but recovers by smiling at me.

“I got to go, John. Embrie’s just about to leave for her party. We will see you when you’re back from your business trip. Love you.”  With that, she hangs up.

I take a minute to study my mom, trying to acquire why she looks so shocked to see me. Her dark – almost black hair is tied up in a tight bun, and her brown eyes search mine.

“You’re wearing your necklace.” She acknowledges, nodding towards it. I just smile and nod ‘yes’. “You look great hon. Now you have a good time, and be safe. Make sure that there’s no drinking and driving, you hear me?”