Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

3 Years Later

The crisp morning sun lit the large, clean bedroom shinning brightly through the thin, mottled blue curtains that covered the French doors leading to the boat's front. The soft matching bed covers lay lightly over my body, my head sinking deep into the thick pillow. Sam lay next to me, facing away. I could see the faded emblem from the branding on his lower back. His blonde hair was messy from his uneasy sleep.

All four of us had suffered from nightmares for three years now, but Sam had it the worst.

I recall waking up one night when it was raining heavily. I had turned over to find Sam's spot empty. Sitting up, I saw him sat with his knees drawn into his chest in the open doorway of the Frence doors. His head was turned to face the rain.

I crept from the bed and moved over to him. I put my right arm around both of his shoulders and planted my left hand on his left. I leant my head on top of my hand.

"You okay?" I whispered, my voice barely audible over the rain.

He didn't reply, just rested his head on top of mine. I felt a tear drop into my hair.

I sat up and he looked away, trying to stop me seeing him in his moment of weakness. But I has seen and I pulled his face around to face mine. His eyes were moist and red. I stroked his cheek, like I always did, and he managed a feeble smile.

Standing up, I took his hand and led him back to our bed. He pulled the covers over us. I put my arms around his shoulders and he put his around my waist. Pressing my forehead against his, I closed my eyes.

Sam began to stir so I shuffled close to him and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Morning." I said.

He turned around awkwardly to face me. His hands found their usual place around my waist.

"Morning" he said back, grinning.

"Sleep well?" I asked.

He shrugged. I pushed my face closer to his. Our lips met briefly. I pulled away.

"Ew! Morning breath!" I teased. "C'mon, we should get up."

I tried to move away but he just pulled me even closer.

"No!" He groaned.

"Haha Sam!" Leaning out wards again I looked into his bright blue eyes. They were slightly red and bloodshot. Realising how long I'd been looking into his eyes, I looked down, blushing slightly. A thin white scar, drawn by Sword's knife, ran like a river from his shoulder down under his collar line. I traced it with my forefinger, feeling the shallow indent it made in his skin. Looking up I saw that he was following my finger with his eyes.

"C'mon" I said, breaking the silence.

I got up, pulled off my top and changed into my swimming trunks.

"Get up!" I pulled the covers off of the bed making Sam groan again.

Outside, Jamie sat on a plastic chair in the light of the morning sun. He was reading one of the many old books we had picked up from a market not long ago. The ancient book was titled 'Oliver Twist' by a nineteenth century author; Charles Dickens. Jamie, now fourteen, had changed enormously. The once small boy who could crawl through a vent was now almost as tall as Sam. However, his refrain from physical activities had left him slightly lankier than expected. Instead, he preferred to indulge himself in books that we picked up here and there. A love had literature had spawned from the small lessons given by Natalie. But not all was different. He still wasn't very talkative, even when it was just us, on the boat. Natalie said he was going through his 'grunting phase'. She still took on the role as 'big sister' with him because, after all, he still was only fourteen. Even if he didn't look it.