Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Three Days Later

Standing at the rear of the boat, I watched the deep blue waves racing away from us. The white froth of the path that the boat carved extended out and curved in opposite directions behind us. We had been travelling continuously for the entire three days. We wanted to be as far away from the rig as we possibly could be.

I liked being back on a boat, on the open sea, being able to breath fresh salty air whenever I wanted. I closed my eyes and inhaled a deep breath through my nose, appreciating the tangy air that filled my lungs. I wasgreat-fullthat it wasn't stale, musky or poisoned with fumes.

I turned to face the rest of the boat. I saw the clouds follow the waves in that they too were flying behind us.

Our new boat was, again, a standard model. Except it was a more modern version and had some major differences. The main building , containing the living quarters, was situated at the front of the boat leaving the large deck at the rear of the boat. The front of the boat did have a small deck area where the tall red crane stood folded up.

The boat's exterior was a red and white striped. The stripes, however, were particularly thick and took up large portions of the plastic outer.

The living quarters had two floors. On the first floor was a bedroom made for three and, to its right, a narrow kitchen with a round wooden table to eat at. On the second floor was a smaller double bedroom which was accessed by walking through the wide cockpit containing more modern controls than on my previous boat. When taking my turn at navigating, I noticed a joystick that could easily control docking like the one Braint had shown me back at the market.

Underneath deck there was, as usual, a preserver and the nuclear generator.

In the preserver we had found enough food to keep us going for a few days, but our supplies were thinning. The three of us agreed we would have to stop soon to fish.

I walked into the kitchen and picked up a damp, blood sodden cloth from the sink. I opened the cupboard above the sink and took out a fresh roll of bandages which we had found the day we escaped the rig. Unravelling some of the bandages, I made my way next door into the bedroom.

Sam lay on his back, unconscious on the single bed in the littleniche opposite the double bed. His bandages were remarkably clean by comparison to previous days. I perched on the sideof the bed and brushed his blonde hair from his face. That was a good sign. His hair being in his face meant he had moved at some point. I put my ear to his mouth, which was slightly ajar, and looked down his chest to monitor his breathing. Encouragingly it was calm and regular. I checked his pulse on his wrist. Also regular.

I began tounravelthe bandages across his chest revealing the gashes left by Sword's knife which were now beginning to scab over. I threw the old bandages into a metal bin beside the bed and started to wrap the fresh ones around him.

I hoped he would wake soon, just so he could eat something solid if anything.

Sam had collapsed when we had first boarded the boat. Once we had left the rig he had passed out. He had lost a considerable amount of blood and the strain from running had drained him of energy leaving him exhausted. Luckily, there were bandages in the cupboard over the kitchen sink. We were able to stop the blood flow from the gashes and moved him onto this bed across from mine; the double. He hadn't woken up since. We had managed to feed him liquidated foods and get him to swallow some water, but it wouldn't look good for him if he didn't wake soon. Natalie made a herbal remedy from seaweed and sea salt that she had learnt from her mother. We applied it to Sam's wounds which had made them heal up quicker than we had hoped, helping him retain more blood.