Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

What happened next happened very quickly.

I was carried off in a fireman's lift. By who, I didn't know who. Nor did I care. I was in shock. Neither my body or mind could process what had just happened. I could not even think. I made no attempt of freedom. I didn't struggle. I just let it happen.

I was aware that there were many people rushing around me, like chaotic waves in a rough sea. I could not make out what they were doing. Fighting maybe. Rushing to the crumpled form of Judith.

My carrier seemed to be having a hard time pushing through the mass of people. He stopped and started frequently and was knocked sideways regularly. Hands grabbed at me, trying to free me from my captor's grasp. But he just pulled me out of their reach.

I was carried aboard a metallic boat and set down inside it's quarters. Hammer retrieved a rope and tied my hands behind my back. Then he exited the room.

Outside, I could hear angry voices shouting and screaming. A continuous thudding sounded on the deck outside and against the side of the boat. The ship began to rock. I assumed people were trying to board or were rocking the boat in protest. 

More gunshots filled the air, drowning out the mob's shouting. The angry shouting was replaced by screams of terror.

The screams and gunshots died down and the boat rumbled as the engine started. My stomach lurched as began to move. The motion of the boat and the feeling in my stomach suggested that we were travelling fast.

In the distance, I could hear the soft rumbling of other boats.The noises grew closer and a glimmer of hope sparked inside me once more.They're coming for me!I thought. Suddenly, a burst of gunshots rang over the noise of the engine. I could hear the rapid fire bullets ripping into the sides of the nearby boats. Slowly the engine noises faded away. Some of the boats had obviously fallen back. Some must have been shot down, a long with my hopes.

Now the only sounds were the rumbling of the boat's engine and the thudding of my heart. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself. My arms were beginning to ache from the awkwardness of which they were pulled back. My wrists felt hot under the tightness of the rope and it's knot.

Sickeningly, I counted the death toll;My Mother, my Father, Crick... Judith.

A lump formed in my throat and I began to sob for the loss of my guardian, and best friend.

I sat and mourned the deaths of the most important people in my life.

Hours past and my arms began to cramp up. The joints at my shoulders were becoming intensely painful. Just as I was wondering how much longer I would be able to take before my arms snapped off, the boat began to slow. It deccelerated quickly and began to shudder. A long, loud creaking sound erupted from the opposite side of the boat. The engines suddenly shut off.We're docking onto something.

The door slammed open and the burley figure of Hammer strode in. He grabbed at the knot in the rope that held my hands behind my back and pulled me to my feet. He dragged me backwards out of the door.

The fresh air of the early afternoon swept over me, drying the tears on my face.

I was turned around and I saw what we had docked to.

I was facing a large cargo ship that carried, at least, one hundred rectangular metal containers. The colours ranged from red, to green, to blue. All were faded.

Hammer pushed me on board. I became aware that the other two followed behind as well.

I was lead through a maze of containers until I was stopped at a smaller, dark green one.