Chapter One

Chapter One

The sea breeze swept over the water, rippling the otherwise still ocean. However, the boat stayed firm in the water. The small waves lapped at its sides feebly. I leant my head over the side to look for signs of life passing over the criss-crossed net that lay on the bottom of the shallow sea bed.

I caught a glimpse of my face in the shimmering sea. I had a shapely face with deep green eyes. My lengthy hazel hair fell messily around my face. It grew over to my right side from where the wind had constantly swept it in that direction. I ran my hand through it, feeling the salt sticking the strands together in a knotty fashion. I was tall and fairly muscular; about average for a sixteen year old. That's what I thought anyway, I didn't know many sixteen year olds.

At this moment, our boat consisted of my mother, my father and me. I had a sister, Whisp, who was about 7 years older than me. We used to travel with another family of two boys and their mother. One of the boys is considerably younger than me, whereas the other is about the age of my sister.

The boys would fish and their mother would navigate the boat. This is similar to how we worked, my father and I would fish and my mother would navigate. Our families coexisted in mutual harmony for around five or six years. We had followed a large school of sardines and moderate school of mackerel for about a year, due south, when the mackerel changed direction and headed west. Our family wished to continue south with the sardines as it was in a greater supply than the mackerel. The other family wanted to pursue the mackerel as it is more valued in trade. Our families agreed to finally part ways but, before we were about to set off, Whisp and the eldest brother had an announcement.

They were in love. 'Deeply in love' in their words.

Apparently they had had a secret relationship together for just less than two years. They did not want to leave each other. By this time, they were both nineteen, so my mother and father could have little dictation over her life now. Eventually it was decided that Whisp would go with them. The other family would not be able to survive with one boy of twelve providing for two people, whereas we could survive with an adult and a child providing for three.

So that was it. My sister was gone. Like a puff of smoke.

We kept in contact for a while, although the global internet connection is often unreliable due to great demand from above and the fact that we are constantly moving. After a while, contact stopped. I don't know what happened, she just stopped replying.

I spotted a small gathering of Common Goby settling above the net. Sensing that this will be our best bet at a catch I called out:

"Hey dad! Bring the net up!"

My father dropped a tangled net he had been wrestling with prior to the call. He crossed swiftly to the small crane that has the four corners of the net attached to it. He pressed a series of buttons on the side, and the crane began to churn. I gazed over the side of the boat again.

The vibrations from the crane seemed to worry the fish. Frantic movements began erupting out of the small gathering, attempting to escape their certain capture. One or two got away from the rising net, but the majority were caught. The net rose out of the water and the fish began to flail.

"How many are there, Ty?" my father called,

"Uh about eight I think."

"That'll do."

I guided the, now still, net of Goby towards the boat and release the catch at the top allowing the fish to fall onto the deck.

"Ty, go get some Mitaweed while I prepare the fish", my father said whilst beginning to pick through the catch of Goby.