~Chapter 12~

~Chapter 12~

I wandered to the kitchen in silence, where I found Ben cooking dinner. I stood frozen at the entry way, trying to figure out how to tell him about Amber’s new situation. I was still shocked about it myself. Ben turned around, noticing me and went back to the stove, but did a double take, noticing my silence.  

“Did something happen?” he asked, worried. When I didn’t answer, he asked again, even more worried. “Are your parents okay? Jack?”  

Glancing up, I simply answered, “You forgot about one person.”  

His eyes rounded, “Amber?”  

I nodded and moved to the stool to sit. “Her case is up for review,” I mumbled.  

“What! That’s great!”  

“Yeah.” I agreed, halfheartedly. I’m still thinking about the trial. I’ll be able to see Amber for the first time. I didn’t even think I would be able to see again in the first place. But that’s the scary part: I will have to see my sister.   

What will she be like now? A lot could’ve happened in a year. Would I even be able to look her in the face? Not because I’m ashamed, but because I am another version of her. I just didn’t get caught. Yet.  

Noticing my enthusiasm, Ben changed the subject, “What’s up with Kellin?”  

I shot up in my chair, “Nothing.” But I revised my rushed answer, remembering what Marcus had said just an hour before. “Except, he may have something going on soon.”  

“Really? Did he tell you that?”  

“He seemed a little agitated,” I bit my lip as I told him part of the truth. “Like he was nervous.”  

“We should probably start following him so we don’t miss it.”  

Not liking the idea of following Marcus around, I dismissed Ben’s idea, “No, it would be too obvious if we do. I’ll try to get something out of him myself.”  

“Are you sure? What if we miss it.” He asked, questioning me.  

Not knowing how to get out of this one I conceded. “Okay, just not now. I want talk to him first.”  

Ben handed me a plate and nodded slowly. He sat down next to me with his food too and we started to eat.   

As I was taking my first bite, my phone buzzed with a text from Marcus. I picked it up, subtly hiding the screen so Ben couldn’t see what he messaged.   

MEET ME AT MY DORM’S LOBBY. I HAVE A SURPISE. ;)  

I kept on eating and pondered what I was going to say to Ben. I knew how to handle myself, even with a bad wrist, so if Marcus was up to something I knew I would be fine without Ben. But, anyways, Marcus’s text made it sound like his little surprise had nothing to do with our jobs and more like a date.  

“What’s that?” Ben asked. I glanced over at him and he pointed to my phone. Still haven’t made up my mind yet, I went with the first thing that came out of my stupid, lying mouth.  

“Oh, um just a ping from the warehouse detectors. It’s probably nothing though,” I waved it off.   

Ben put his fork down and scooted back in his chair, “I’ll go check it out.” He stood up and patted me on the shoulder as he turned away from me.  

“Now?” I asked.  

“Yeah, stay here. You shouldn’t really do anything unless you have to with your hand.” His chivalry was unneeded but perfect. I suddenly felt so guilty about making up the fake trip from the warehouse. But I nodded at his logic and watched him leave the house. Once I heard the car turn on and leave the driveway, I waited a few minutes to see if he would come back.