~Chapter 7~

~Chapter 7~

I awoke abruptly by an annoying buzzing in my ear and scowled at the alarm clock that has woken me up at 6:15 in the morning. After a long groan, I sucked it up, brushed my hair into a ponytail and walked into the kitchen to get water. Ten minutes later, I realized I haven’t seen Ben walking around yet, so I opened his bedroom door and saw him sprawled out on his bed. I walked over to his bed and stared at him drooling on his pillow. I just had to torture him. So I jumped up and landed on his stomach.

“What the hell!” He grunted awake.

“Good morning sunshine,” I stood back up.

“That hurt.”

“I’m sorry,” I pouted. “But you have to get up.” I patted his arm and walked out the room. When he joined me in the kitchen, I handed him a bottle of water and we started on our jog.

Fifteen minutes in, a girl tripped and fell in front of us. “Hey! Are you okay?” Ben ran up to her, helping her up.

“Oh God, yes.” She replied. “I’m so clumsy, sorry.”

“That’s alright,” he grinned. “My name is Riley.”

“Carly.” She smiled back.

I rolled my eyes at his flirting and paid attention to the other side of the street. I saw someone coming closer and recognized Marcus jogging. I tapped Ben on the shoulder and signaled to where Marcus was.

He looked back to the girl, “It was nice to meet you.”

“You too,” she grinned and ran off.

Ben saw my accusing glare of his flirting, but shrugged it off and signaled to circle back around to follow Marcus. As we followed him to the next block, a black Mercedes rolled close to him and flashed the lights. Marcus immediately then veered of the campus’s running path and went towards a closed off courtyard.

Ben and I glanced at each other, “Split?” I suggested.

He nodded and pointed to his ear. “You have your earpiece?”

I signaled yes and we both turned ours on. He went ahead of me to get on the other side of the courtyard and I kept going, and covertly hid behind a building’s wall, still able to see into the yard’s interior. Marcus was sitting on a bench and his legs were shaking and he looked around nervously. He straightened up when a man dressed in black came up to him. They started talking, but I was too far away to hear.

“Can you hear?” I spoke to Ben.

“No. Hold on, I’ll get closer.” He scooted forward so now the both of us could hear the two arguing men.

“No!” shouted Marcus. “I don’t want to.”

“Well you have to. You are part of this agency,” the man countered.

“I may be for now, but I am getting the hell out when I have enough money to be on my own. And after that I am going to get Jenny out.”

“Like we would let you leave. You are a great agent, Marcus, and our parents would never sign your release forms.”

“I just want to be normal, Peter. With this job, I have lost so much of my integrity. I told Mom and Dad that they shouldn’t call me in anymore, not unless one of your lives was on the line.” Now that Marcus said the man’s name, I recognized him as Marcus’s older brother, Peter Kellin.

“Well they didn’t promise you that, did they? You got called in, Marc. You better be at Nelson’s tonight. Or I swear, you will have hell to pay.” Peter turned around and started to leave.