Chapter 7: A Family

They were a fashionable couple, Bab and Nahath, although, Macy observed, the only kind of color they liked to wear was black.

They matched black tank tops, jackets, jeans and boots as they happily announced Bab’s pregnancy. She congratulated them with fervor before taking over the makeshift podium to announce their decision when a voice from behind the crowd stopped her from joining her happy husband in actually making the announcement.

“We have something to say first!” an adolescent voice shouted. Thatcher immediately identified who the voice came from. He would have helped Macy find the face to the voice if she hadn’t surprisingly recognized the voice too.

“Jaiden?” Macy narrowed her eyes to look for the brave yet at times dense teen “Where are you?”

“Here, miss.” Macy jumped when the boy popped his head right at the front, he was accompanied by the older children of the pack.

“What is this?” Thatcher didn’t know if he was about to be amused.

“Well, you see, sir.” Jaiden was intimidated by the Alpha so much that with every syllable he spoke to the Alpha he bowed while holding his cap and gesturing towards the podium.

Macy got out of his way as she was curious what these children have to say. She looked up at her husband behind her before they stayed behind the children to listen.

There was a lot of scuffle before one of the shorter children handed over a crumpled piece of paper. Jaiden was like a redwood tree surrounded by saplings with how tall he was for his age.

“Yesterday, the Alpha had a speech on this very platform that contained words that made us realize something.” Their voices sounded like a choir.

“We say ‘contained words’ because we had been rendered unable to think when we heard the word ‘empathize’. It’s not a word we always hear around, but we’re sure you can empathize.” There was laughter, Thatcher could now not help but be amused “We had to go to the library to research what it meant and when we finally found a dictionary that would explain to us what exactly was the definition of the word empathize we had realized what Alpha Thatcher was trying to say.” Another scuffle was produced before another crumpled piece of paper was handed to the front “We could not empathize with Alpha Macy. Because none of us were born human, so as late as our parents allowed us, we decided to play a game. We searched things in the library about how humans lived, we only found one book and five pamphlets.” The third scuffle resulted in the balled piece of paper to be launched into the sky and land on the audience’s feet.

The people laughed before one of them threw it back into the small group of children, they continued “In the book we discovered that in the Human’s world we are almost everything they are scared about.”

Thatcher held Macy close.

The children now turned to the Alphas and said the words-along with the whole pack-they didn’t need to read “That’s why we are here to say that you are always welcome to stay. But if the day comes that you do not or cannot then know that you always have the freedom to go. When you decide to do what you think is the best for the pack, our Alphas we want you to know that we know in our hearts that you will not make a decision you think is bad for any one of us. The only message we all agreed to openly tell you is that we will miss the pack if you decide to transition into a clutter pack, but everything will be okay.”

Macy and Thatcher looked at one another and then at the now silent crowd of their pack. This was not a pack, this was a family.

You don’t leave family behind.

***

“It’s a great thing you made the decision to stay before I made the decision to offer the proposition in a lighter mood.” Nahath said once they were all back in the car on their way to the city, they needed to empty out their apartment and bring home back to home.

“I forgot to ask.” Macy turned to her husband, who was driving “That… torture chamber, we were locked in.” the silence that filled the car dropped like a bomb “It was… ” Macy saw the glance exchanged between Nahath, Bab, and Thatcher through the rearview mirror and she narrowed her eyes, shoulders tense, nobody’s facial expressions were giving anything away “It was outside of the pack lands.”

“Why is that and why do you even have access to something like that?”

“Macy, sometimes there are things you are better off not knowing.” Thatcher spoke this, and neither Nahath or Bab fought for her right to know.

She would have to.

“Are they for the rogues?” a flick of the eye gave Thatcher away “They’re torture chambers for rogues that everyone has access to.” Macy said with disgust in realization.

Humans, now Humans had their ways.

Werewolves? Werewolves only had one government all around the world, they don’t have a king, or a president, they have themselves and millenniums of old parchment of paper to follow up on the rules.

****

The epilogue is on its way! It's been fun!

10% of my readers are from New Zealand! Woah and 11.11% are from Turkey! That's so cool!